[SOLVED] My display keeps shutting off and on again.

Sep 8, 2020
So I recently bought the ASUS VG278QR, and I'm currently running it at 120Hz (I'm not sure why I can't run it at 165Hz as advertised but that's not really the issue I'm most concerned with at the moment). However, whenever I'm playing games like League of Legends or Overwatch my display turns black for roughly two seconds, and then turns back on. My first thought was the GPU, I have a Raedon RX 580, but it's up to date and according to my knowledge (which is very limited, so I could be wrong) the settings I'm running on these games shouldn't be an issue. It's not a loose cable, and I've tried multiple different HDMI cables. Plus it isn't random, it often happens when I alt-tab out of games and it happens more often with more graphically intensive games, (and for some weird reason it happens a lot when I open the buy menu in League, which is strange). Any idea what the issue is?

Solution
Yeah it doesn't seem to be having the issue when I bring it down to 60Hz. I'm not sure why, everything I've seen suggest my GPU should be able to handle 120Hz with these games, but maybe not.
I've researched for a bit about your GPU and turns out that your GPU is much better at 60hz than 120hz. Maybe that could be the issue
Sep 8, 2020
Did you try another display and see if it was the monitor issue or its because of the game changing resolutions?

Before I had this new monitor I was using a HP 25es, which is the same resolution, but a max refresh rate of 60Hz. I ran the same games at the same settings and didn't have this issue.

whateverami

Great
Sep 8, 2020
Before I had this new monitor I was using a HP 25es, which is the same resolution, but a max refresh rate of 60Hz. I ran the same games at the same settings and didn't have this issue.
Can you try to change the display hz to the same one in the HP25es on your new monitor and see if that fixes the issue?

Sep 8, 2020
Can you try to change the display hz to the same one in the HP25es on your new monitor and see if that fixes the issue?

Yeah it doesn't seem to be having the issue when I bring it down to 60Hz. I'm not sure why, everything I've seen suggest my GPU should be able to handle 120Hz with these games, but maybe not.

whateverami

Great
Sep 8, 2020
I've researched for a bit about your GPU and turns out that your GPU is much better at 60hz than 120hz. Maybe that could be the issue

Solution