Question my display suddenly went black and now says no signal and the ez display LEDs are solid red

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
I’ve had my pc for about 2 years now that i built with no issues ever until now. i recently overclocked my gpu about a month ago and only now when i tried to start up my pc it would randomly crash and now the monitor will say no signal and not even turn on. i was instructed that the boot ez debug LED means that it’s a problem with my storage or it can’t detect anything. well the only storage i have is an m.2 drive that i haven’t touched in 2 years so i don’t know how that would be a problem but i took it out and put it back in anyway but the ez debug boot led light is still solid red. also, when i turn on my pc the ez debug cpu light turns on for about 5 seconds, then switches to the VGA EZ debug LED for about one second and then finally stays on the boot LED until the PC turns off. please help. these lights are not “EZ”

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
everything i bought was brand new from amazon or somewhere else and i haven’t replaced anything.
motherboard-msi b450 gaming pro carbon max wifi
cpu- amd ryzen 5 3600x 6-core 12 threads
monitor- sceptre 24” curved 144hz
psu- corsair cx550m
ram- corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb
ssd- xpg s40g 512GB
gpu- amd radeon rx 5500 xt 8gb thicc ii

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you describe, is a dead GPU.

Now, since you have AMD build, without APU, it isn't as easy as pulling GPU from system and hooking monitor to MoBo. You actually have to have dedicated GPU in there, to see any image.

Here, you have two troubleshooting steps:
  1. Put your GPU into 2nd, working system and look if you have the same issue there as well (no image).
  2. Take 2nd, known to work GPU and put it into your system and look if you can get image showing.
As of why GPU most likely died on you, i'd look towards this:

psu- corsair cx550m

CX-series, at best, is mediocre quality PSU and only good enough to power office build, without dedicated GPU. But for gaming rig, especially with dedicated GPU, that PSU is too poor of a build quality.

Here, i'd replace PSU as well. Since if you do find out that your GPU is toast and get a new GPU, chances are very high that your CX-series unit will fry 2nd GPU too.

Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/PRIME series, in 650W range. Or if you prefer Corsair, then RM/ RMi /RMx series, in 650W range.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. And while you can cheap out on many PC components, never cheap out on PSU.

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
ok, thanks. another problem is that i have had my pc on carpet for 2 years so the psu was probably dying from thst too. im currently taking apart the family pc and seeing if the gpu will work in my pc. oh and also i dont think this will work because my family pc is so old and im not sure it even has a graphics card in it

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
i am not able to find anything and even if i could im not sure that anything would work. do you think my best bet would be to but a new gpu and psu with something like a 30 day return policy if is still doesn’t work?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
do you think my best bet would be to but a new gpu and psu with something like a 30 day return policy if is still doesn’t work?

Best bet would be hauling your now dead PC to any PC repair shop and asking them to diagnose the issue. They can pinpoint what hardware has died. It could be MoBo too.
But new, good quality PSU, is something i'd get regardless.

another problem is that i have had my pc on carpet for 2 years so the psu was probably dying from thst too.

In a way, negligence is a very good teacher. ;) Since it often hits you into the most painful spot - into your wallet.

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Best bet would be hauling your now dead PC to any PC repair shop and asking them to diagnose the issue. They can pinpoint what hardware has died. It could be MoBo too.

In a way, negligence is a very good teacher. ;) Since it often hits you into the most painful spot - into your wallet.
hahah yeah. i took it to a local pc shop and they’ll call me when they get something. ill keep you posted on what they say. thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aeacus

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022

I finally got it back. They said that it was the graphics card. They also said that it did some damage to the cpu but i only needed to get a new cpu cooler which was $75. So here I am with a new cpu cooler and down a graphics card. He suggested something like a 3060 or 3070. There were a few on amazon under 500. I wonder if i get one o f those, would my cpu/psu need to be upgraded? The guy said that my psu and cpu should be able to habndle a 3060 but 2 brains are better than 1. Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
monitor- sceptre 24” curved 144hz

Resolution of the monitor is? 720p, 1080p, 1440p (2K), 4K etc.

would my cpu/psu need to be upgraded?

CPU will do fine.

But PSU, for sure, should be upgraded to far better quality unit. Moreover since it already blew your RX 5500. E.g Seasonic Foucus or PRIME series. Or Corsair RM, RMi or RMx series. Now, PSU max wattage depends on GPU you're getting. But for GPU suggestions, i need answer to above question (monitor reso).

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
ok, ill look into better psus. i have already bought a new graphics card from amazon (vega rtx 3060 for $417) the monitor is 1080. also it’s funny because the guy that diagnosed my pc said that the psu was fine. i even told him about you and he insisted that it was good, even with the 3060.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
i even told him about you and he insisted that it was good, even with the 3060.

If he convinces you to keep the CX-550m and if he knows anything about PSUs, then this could be very clever way to ensure that you will return to him, again. Once CX-550m blows your new GPU as well, you're back at him to diagnose the issue. Since he is in a business, generating revenue is #1 priority. Now, if PC repair shops would fix consumer PCs following the highest standard, every client's PC would last for years, problem free. But that means loosing customers and without income, business would go bust. But if you have a client who's PC is "iffy", business can "milk" the client quite a while, or for a big sum of money (e.g PSU blows entire PC and they replace the whole thing for you).

I, in the other hand, have 0 monetary gain in helping you (or anyone else in TH forums in that matter). Only thing i get helping you, is good feeling and on a wider scope, improving TH forum's reputation as getting good PC advice. Also, there is a reason why i have "Ambassador" title in TH forums and why i'm not a regular user.

On similar example:
Let's say you have cheap tires on your car, and you slid off the road, into the ditch, while also bending two rims of your car. Now, you can't drive any further with bent rims and you go out and buy new rims. Better ones, more expensive but also better looking. Question here is: would you still put those cheap tires under your car, that caused you to bent your previous rims? Even when mechanic in the tire shop says that the tires are "good"?

Oh, tires on a car is essentially as PSU in PC. Since when it comes to the cars, tires are the only thing that touch the ground, hence why never to cheap out on car tires either.

the monitor is 1080

For 1080p, GTX 1660, 1660 Super or 1660 Ti would've sufficed as well. Given that the price is cheaper than RTX 3060.
(In my main build, Skylake, full specs with pics in my sig, i'm running GTX 1660 Ti with 24" 144hz monitor and i'm getting easy 144 FPS @ 1080p, depending on a game.)

Oh, with RTX 3060, you will have transient power spikes, where GPU will consume far more power than it is rated for. Steve, from GamersNexus made a good video about it;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Your previous GPU, RX 5500, was 130W GPU. RTX 3060 is 170W GPU and when factoring in transient power spikes as well, RTX 3060 will push your CX-550m far harder than your RX 5500 ever was able. This is something else to keep in mind.

With RTX 3060, minimum PSU max wattage, i'd be comfortable, would be 650W range.

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Ok, thanks. I just watched the video you linked. I am going to side with you on this one. I'll get a 650-700W PSU and a plank of wood so my pc doesnt die again HA. Also, is there such thing as "over-powering" the pc? I mean like, if I were to get 800W, would that damage the PC or just cost a lot on the electricity bill?

luke dongarra

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
With RTX 3060, minimum PSU max wattage, i'd be comfortable, would be 650W range.
I was looking around for PSUs and stubled upon this beauty. "
CORSAIR RM Series (2021), RM750, 750 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply" on amazon for a hefty $99. Is it a quality PSU? It's from the RM series which i belive you quoted to be good.
also, what should i do with my other psu? straight to the facebook marketplace?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I was looking around for PSUs and stubled upon this beauty. "
CORSAIR RM Series (2021), RM750, 750 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply" on amazon for a hefty $99. Is it a quality PSU? It's from the RM series which i belive you quoted to be good.
That is decent quality.
Also don't overclock your video card very little to gain and a lot to loose.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also, is there such thing as "over-powering" the pc? I mean like, if I were to get 800W, would that damage the PC or just cost a lot on the electricity bill?

No.

PSUs doesn't work by providing their max rated wattage at all times. E.g 1000W unit won't feed all it's 1kW to PC at all times. Instead, it is vice-versa, where PC components draw as much power from PSU as they need.

Now, overkilling on wattage doesn't harm PC or PSU in any way. Only downside is, that overkilling wattage wise, reduces PSU's efficiency, since PSUs are most efficient when load on them, is 50% to 80% of their max rated wattage. E.g for 1kW unit, it would be most efficient when components draw 500-800W.

Also, the cost on electricity bill is so minute, that you may not even see it. Though, you could always go for better efficiency PSU.

PSU 80+ efficiency levels go like so;
At 50% load, with 115V input (USA),
80+ (White) - 80%
80+ Bronze - 85%
80+ Silver - 88%
80+ Gold - 90%
80+ Platinum - 92%
80+ Titanium - 94%

But some still argue that the 4% extra efficiency, between 80+ Gold and 80+ Titanium isn't worth the cost of 80+ Titanium unit. Now, while this may be true and you won't save much on electricity bill, there are other instances where higher efficiency PSU matters. Here are two:
  1. If you're running an UPS (i am), then you want to have as efficient PSU as possible, so that you can get as long runtime out of your UPS during blackout, as possible.
  2. The loss of electricity, due to inefficiency, is converted into excess heat. Meaning that 80+ Gold 1000W PSU, at 500W load, will pull 555W from the wall, while wasting 55W as excess heat. Same 1kW PSU, but 80+ Titanium unit, at 500W load, will pull 531W from the wall, while only wasting 31W as excess heat. Difference here is 24W. While 80+ Titanium unit doesn't heat up as much either.

for a hefty $99. Is it a quality PSU?

Hefty? I'd say for a mere $99. :D

It's a good unit,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750-power-supply,6172.html

Now, if you want to see what hefty to me means, then look towards Seasonic SSR-650TD or Seasonic SSR-650TR, where former costed me €206.80 ($211.72) and latter costed me €205.50 ($210.35). :sol: <- Both of these PSUs power my builds, one in Skylake, another in Haswell (full specs with pics in my sig). Then again, at purchase date, both PSUs were the best 650W units money could buy. And they are still one of the best PSUs ever made. :)

I'd throw it away. Selling used PSU, especially the one that already killed one GPU, is immoral thing to do and bad practice.

Look it at this way; would you buy your RM750, if you know that it is used and it already killed seller's PC? If not, where you'd rather buy brand new PSU, then why sell your CX-550m?