Question My DisplayPort 1.4 cable will not work on my 1440p 280Hz monitor.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I am using the Alienware AW2723DF monitor. It is my secondary monitor so it is further away from my desktop.

The factory DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor was able to utilize 280Hz on the monitor without any issues. However, the cable itself is too short for my needs.

I then purchased a DisplayPort 1.4 Dockteck cable from Amazon. It was 10 feet long which was just enough. However, when using 280Hz on the monitor, it did not seem stable (extreme flickering).

I then got a VESA certified DisplayPort 1.4 cable. This cable is CLUB3D branded and it is VESA certified. However, when using it, I don't even get 280Hz or 240Hz as an option on the monitor.

Like I said, it is a secondary monitor so it really doesn't matter. But I just want a cable that will allow full utilization of the monitor.

My graphics card is an RTX 4090 ROG Strix so I am pretty sure it only supports up to DisplayPort 1.4 (meaning 2.0 or 2.1 is not an option).

Lutfij

Titan
If you revert to the cable that came bundled with the monitor, does the issue resolve itself? I'd try and use the cable on another panel that's capable of going to higher refresh rates, to verify that the cables that you were handed are the issue.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
If you revert to the cable that came bundled with the monitor, does the issue resolve itself? I'd try and use the cable on another panel that's capable of going to higher refresh rates, to verify that the cables that you were handed are the issue.

Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?
Hello.

Yes, I just tested the cable bundled with the monitor. It works flawlessly.

My motherboard is ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E HERO on BIOS 1415 (latest version).

I am not sure if this is relevant but when checking the refresh rate settings in Windows 11, it says the HDR certification is VESA DisplayHDR 600 (1.1).

The cable I am using is the Club3D CAC-1069B purchased from the following link:

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
In case anyone Google's this issue years from now, I solved the problem.

I reset the monitor to factory settings which solved the issue. My monitor was able to detect 240Hz. Once I turned the 280Hz overclock profile back on, the issue persisted.

Once I reduced the overclock profile to 270Hz, the issue was solved again.

I am not actually running the monitor at 270Hz (only at 240Hz), but I just wanted to make sure everything was in working order and I did not purchase a faulty cable.

zszabo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Hello.

Yes, I just tested the cable bundled with the monitor. It works flawlessly.

My motherboard is ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E HERO on BIOS 1415 (latest version).

I am not sure if this is relevant but when checking the refresh rate settings in Windows 11, it says the HDR certification is VESA DisplayHDR 600 (1.1).

The cable I am using is the Club3D CAC-1069B purchased from the following link:
I saw that you already resolved the problem. Still, I'm curious about one thing: when you say the cable is VESA certified—are you basing that on the fact that one of the Amazon images shows "VESA certified", or on actually having looked up that particular brand/manufacturer in VESA's database of certified products?

Quite simply (and again, I realize that this is no longer germane to this discussion, since the problem is already resolved; nevertheless, I think this is worth mentioning), the time I tried to make use of DP 1.4's Multi Stream Transport (MST) protocol to drive a 4K display at 60 Hz (since back when the first 4K displays started to come out, about ten years ago, there was no protocol that could support 4K resolution at 60 Hz; so the solution at the time was to split the physical display (3840x2160) into logical screens that divided the display area into left and right halves, each with a resolution of 1920x2160 and at 60 Hz.

Until I ran into this problem, I was convinced that DP was superior, if for no other reason than because it's an open standard that does not require exorbitant licensing fees the way HDMI does.

When I subsequently spent countless frustrating hours trying to find a cable that actually was fully DP 1.4 compliant, my original view regarding which standard was superior was flipped on its head. I ended up buying several DP cables—none of them cheap, mind you, and yet at least one of which was designed in such an appallingly deceitful fashion that it claimed (in its description) to have gold contacts (to prevent oxidation)—and yet these contacts had merely been anodized with some material to appear sort of gold-like in color. Meanwhile, there were several black spots covering the connector, where the material had clearly become oxidized.

This happened several years ago, btw, when there were barely a handful of entries in VESA's database of products that had actually been tested by VESA and found to be compliant (although I'm not sure what sort of protocol VESA used to test for 100% compliance; because what matters isn't typical operability, but consistent functionality at the limit). In fact, the description stated that each compatible device had to be individually listed, otherwise validation wasn't guaranteed—and this specifically meant that you could have different length cables from the same company, and if only one length was listed, only that specific cable was guaranteed to fully meet the DP 1.4 protocol specifications (keep in mind, this was sending a signal with double the bandwidth through a single cable—so transmission length certainly was a factor).

In other words, the vast majority of cables that were being sold as DP 1.4 compliant were likely of insufficient quality to function as advertised, if the protocol was pushed to its limits. Yet they were good enough in the vast majority of all other, normal use cases, thus allowing all those manufacturers to, in effect, defraud consumers in large numbers.

The same could never have happened with HDMI even if its existing protocol revision had incorporated a MST equivalent at the time, precisely because the hundred thousand dollar (IIRC) licensing fee that every manufacturer had to pay to be able to manufacture and legally sell HDMI-compatible cables, etc. would have a) kept a bunch of fly-by-night manufacturers with dubious manufacturing practices and quality control from flooding the market with junk products and making things very difficult for the few individuals who were dependent on 100% compliant cables.

Furthermore, I assume that the same exorbitant licensing fee also comes with a formal certification process, which additionally keeps inferior junk that fails to meet the claimed spec from being sold.

In short, although I noticed some time ago that things had improved somewhat over the years (in particular, regarding the number of devices tested by VESA and said to be compliant), the fact remains that VESA, as a publisher of an open standard, is neither interested in, nor has the resources to go after shady enterprises that turn the lack of oversight and enforcement into a grift, harming consumers. And it's worth mentioning that, per my own experiences (some of which I explained above), I would be utterly unsurprised if it turned out that some of these manufacturers on Amazon absolutely do use that VESA compliant icon/statement in a totally shameless and fraudulent manner—because they can jack up the price for the same non-compliant garbage product, and who's going to stop them.

Last edited:

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I saw that you already resolved the problem. Still, I'm curious about one thing: when you say the cable is VESA certified—are you basing that on the fact that one of the Amazon images shows "VESA certified", or on actually having looked up that particular brand/manufacturer in VESA's database of certified products?

Hello.

The product is legitimately verified by VESA (source available on VESA's website).

Unfortunately, I solved one issue (being able to display 240Hz) and now I've run into a new issue.

The monitor keeps turning black for a few seconds then turning back on. This issue did not occur when 144Hz was the highest option.

Even when I try going back down to 144Hz, this does not fix the issue.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
The only way to fix the newly created issue is to go back to square one.

I switch the overclock profile to 280Hz, and then the DisplayPort cable will no longer recognize 240Hz or the overclock profile.

The cable is streaming at 1.62 Gbps instead of 5.4 Gbps. Now it is no longer flickering black.

Regardless, I will be returning this cable. This is no longer worth my time.