Question My documents and screen will flicker and turn black

Dec 27, 2022
I have a Hp Omen Advantage Edition laptop. My documents will turn completely black and the screen will flicker on and off real quick. It is plugged into a second monitor and it has done this with other monitors as well. There is zero problems while I have games running. I've tried resetting my laptop to factory conditions and reinstalling windows 10 and 11 a few times. I cant open my filea without them freaking out for even a second now. I will minimize the file and then reopen it and the file will appear normal, but then a couple of seconds role and by and it flickers and turns black. I took a picture but It wont let me post it here.

Laptop Specs:
AMD Radeon RX 6600M
AMD Ryzen 7 5000 Series
SSD 1000 gigabytes
16 gigabytes RAM

Monitor:
Lg Ultra Gear 27 inch

It plays all modern games on Steam, EpicGames, Xbox Gamepass, and Ubisoft. Such as Halo Infinite, Ac Valhalla, Snow Runner, and Saints Row 2022.

The yellow folder icon you have on the desktop tool bar where you can access Desktop, Download, Documents, Pictures, Videos, This PC, etc....

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop specs.

Make and model second monitor(s)?

"Zero game problems": what games?

Problems in /with documents - what apps? File types? Where are the files hosted: on the laptop, shared from another computer, Network Area Storage, attached USB drive?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Watch what happens on the laptop when documents are opened and the screen flickers. May take a bit of trial and effort to discover what is happening.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time the screen flickers.

Dec 27, 2022
Update your post to include full laptop specs.

Make and model second monitor(s)?

"Zero game problems": what games?

Problems in /with documents - what apps? File types? Where are the files hosted: on the laptop, shared from another computer, Network Area Storage, attached USB drive?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Watch what happens on the laptop when documents are opened and the screen flickers. May take a bit of trial and effort to discover what is happening.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time the screen flickers.
Nothing really popped out at me except windows was not shut down properly a couple of times. Also the Maximum Frequency in light blue inside Resource Monitor is always between 80%-110%.

Ralston18

Titan
Post photos, screenshots etc. here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Try turning off all screen savers, power savers, etc. to determine if that makes a difference.

Is Windows Search Indexer running?

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-search-indexer-guide/

As always, before doing anything, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the laptop.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Dec 27, 2022
Post photos, screenshots etc. here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Try turning off all screen savers, power savers, etc. to determine if that makes a difference.

Is Windows Search Indexer running?

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-search-indexer-guide/

As always, before doing anything, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the laptop.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.
View: https://i.imgur.com/NDjDjmH.png

Ralston18

Titan
In the image Color 1 (Black) appears to be selected. What happens if Color 2 is chosen?

Look in Personalization:

"WIN" + "I" (Press the Windows key and the "I" key at the same time.) > Personalization > Background

Then check through the other end user configuration options that are also available there.

No harm in checking through "Ease of Access" as well.

Dec 27, 2022
In the image Color 1 (Black) appears to be selected. What happens if Color 2 is chosen?

Look in Personalization:

"WIN" + "I" (Press the Windows key and the "I" key at the same time.) > Personalization > Background

Then check through the other end user configuration options that are also available there.

No harm in checking through "Ease of Access" as well.
Please ignore the fact that it's in paint application. I just took screenshot on of my desktop. Applied it to paint so I could save the image as it was. The windows turned black when I was moving files from nexus into Mafia Definitive Edition for modding purposes. I can edit the image so it only shows the desktop.

Ralston18

Titan
How are you moving files: drag and drop?

Open Reliability History and expand the screen so all can be seen. Select a couple of representative days when files were moved and black screens occurred.

Take a couple of screenshots of those days and post here via imgur.

Dec 27, 2022
How are you moving files: drag and drop?

Open Reliability History and expand the screen so all can be seen. Select a couple of representative days when files were moved and black screens occurred.

Take a couple of screenshots of those days and post here via imgur.
0yHsvO4.png

Ralston18

Titan