Question my documents folder missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesam_az

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2016
I have hp laptop with 512GB SSD , while I'm trying to cut all files and folders in "Documents" folder to "D drive" and before paste the cutted files , my laptop stuck ,then I forced my laptop to turn off. After I turned on the laptop "Documents" folder disappeared.
tried to :
- show hidden files , uncheck hide protected operating system files , go to run ( “%userprofile%Documents”) and search for a specific files which were found in Documents folder but in vain
- tried to restore system but I couldn't .
- uninstalled last windows updates ( from : Recover--->Advanced startup), nothing changes
- installed new kaspersky total security and full scan my PC but no viruses were detected.

I don't know whether my PC infected or what is the problem??

Any advice would be appreciated

If anybody has a good recovery software and shortcut removal software

Thanks in advance

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You mention above that you "cut". Ctrl C is "copy", so if you did that the original file location should not have changed. From what you said above you cut which puts it to the clipboard and then the failure lost that. We can argue semantics but point of the matter is that the files are gone and thus why you hear people so often to say to perform backups.

If you have 'restore' enabled, you could try to reset to an earlier time/version to see if it comes back.

Reactions: wesam_az

wesam_az

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2016
You mention above that you "cut". Ctrl C is "copy", so if you did that the original file location should not have changed. From what you said above you cut which puts it to the clipboard and then the failure lost that. We can argue semantics but point of the matter is that the files are gone and thus why you hear people so often to say to perform backups.

If you have 'restore' enabled, you could try to reset to an earlier time/version to see if it comes back.
I selected all files and folders , then cut (Ctrl-x) but I didn't paste (or Ctrl-V)
I think that as long as I didn't pasted the selected cut items , the selected items should not be gone . Am I right??

When you hit cut, the files are removed from their original directory and placed into a temporary location (clipboard).
By powering off your laptop, this temporary location was cleared.
NEVER use "Cut" for important files, only copy. You can then remove the files later if you wanted to.

You can try services like Recuva, but chances are they are lost. Especially since you kept using the system afterwards.

Nobody likes to use the "Move" function by selecting and drag-and-drop with the mouse? It's been a defining feature of GUI since the 1980s, and a power cut would only leave some files in the original location and the rest in the destination. And doesn't require gobs of RAM like the clipboard to do it. I mean the laptop may only have appeared to crash because you used up all of the RAM and it started swapping.

The files are simply gone if it was on SSD. I've had luck recovering files from HDD even a year after deletion, but garbage collection on SSD is so efficient that usually even minutes after deletion it has already been block erased to maintain tiptop write performance, to the extent that recovery software cannot even see any partial filenames of files that used to be there. This is true even with pre-2009 SSDs that don't support TRIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.