Robert

Help Please!

I have a friend using WinXP SP1.

They had a problem and the Computer would no longer boot up.

Had to do a fix found on KB Site that copied "Windows\System32\Config\System
and 4 other files.
The computer then worked again as before, however it overwrote something,
and the user can see all files
on system, except the original "My Documents" folder. When I Click on it,
it says a message along the lines of
"Access Denied" I forget the exact error message. The other thing that
happened is that none of the programs
are available any more. eg: Office Products show Icons, but are not
available to use.

Question:
How can we get the files in this folder back. It is the only Folder that is
important, and the data will be copied to a
CD and then I will have to format and reinstall all programs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Can we go back some how to an earlier state?

Thanks in advance.
robert
robert11@mountaincable.net

Robert wrote:
> Help Please!
>
> I have a friend using WinXP SP1.
>
> They had a problem and the Computer would no longer boot up.
>
> Had to do a fix found on KB Site that copied
> "Windows\System32\Config\System and 4 other files.
> The computer then worked again as before, however it
> overwrote something, and the user can see all files
> on system, except the original "My Documents" folder. When
> I Click on it, it says a message along the lines of
> "Access Denied" I forget the exact error message. The other
> thing that happened is that none of the programs
> are available any more. eg: Office Products show Icons, but
> are not available to use.
>
> Question:
> How can we get the files in this folder back. It is the
> only Folder that is important, and the data will be copied
> to a
> CD and then I will have to format and reinstall all programs.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Can we go back some how to an earlier state?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> robert
> robert11@mountaincable.net

You need to take ownership of the folder. Take a look here for
the procedure:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan

kelly

Lucky you can still be a fan. Benson stated that he relocated the Saints to
the highest bidder which ended up in San Antonio. And said "see yall" to us
here in New Orleans. However, new news is that the team objected to the
move.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> Robert wrote:
>> Help Please!
>>
>> I have a friend using WinXP SP1.
>>
>> They had a problem and the Computer would no longer boot up.
>>
>> Had to do a fix found on KB Site that copied
>> "Windows\System32\Config\System and 4 other files.
>> The computer then worked again as before, however it
>> overwrote something, and the user can see all files
>> on system, except the original "My Documents" folder. When
>> I Click on it, it says a message along the lines of
>> "Access Denied" I forget the exact error message. The other
>> thing that happened is that none of the programs
>> are available any more. eg: Office Products show Icons, but
>> are not available to use.
>>
>> Question:
>> How can we get the files in this folder back. It is the
>> only Folder that is important, and the data will be copied
>> to a
>> CD and then I will have to format and reinstall all programs.
>>
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>> Can we go back some how to an earlier state?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> robert
>> robert11@mountaincable.net
>
> You need to take ownership of the folder. Take a look here for
> the procedure:
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Kelly,

Welcome back. I hope you and your family came through Katrina
safely. I know that the images we've seen on television can't
fully convey the living hell "y'all" have been through the past
two weeks. Hopefully, we'll all stay focused on the recovery
effort, however long it takes.

As for your football team, I think you've got good reason to be
concerned about their long term future. The NFL will do what it
can this season to help the Saints and their fans. Not doing so
would be a public relations nightmare. It wouldn't surprise me
if the league tries to promote the team as a show of support
for the region. They're still trying to work out arrangements
so that three home games can be played at LSU's stadium.

However, once the 2005 season is over, things could get messy.
Tom Benson is one of the worst owners in the league.
Unfortunately, he may get to profit from a disaster that has
caused so much misery. The policy of the league is that a
franchise can only be moved if the owner is able to show that
staying in its current location would cause the team financial
hardship. It won't be hard for him to make that case. The
Superdome is trashed. The regional economy is devastated. He's
looking at several years of losing money.

San Antonio is a short term solution. The Alamodome doesn't
have enough luxury boxes to satisfy the leagues requirements
for new stadiums. Benson won't be moving to Texas. He's got his
eyes on a bigger prize. Think Hollywood. Think Los Angeles
Saints. The league will let him move and dangle a carrot in
front of Saints fans by telling them that if they build a new
stadium they'll get an expansion franchise and a Super Bowl
soon after the stadium opens. That's what happened in Houston.

For the sake of all the Saints fans, I hope I'm wrong. While
losing a sports franchise is trivial compared to all that's
happened down there, it would be a symbolic slap in the face of
a city that deserves better.

Good luck

Nepatsfan