[SOLVED] My download speed (ethernet port) is not as fast as it should be

Mar 3, 2019
I have a 400mbit/s internet connection with videotron. When I do a speedtest on speedtest.net on my laptop I get 430mbit/s download, but when I do it on my desktop with a ethernet connection conencted with cat 6 cable on a gigabit port, it gives me around 180mbit/s download speed. I even bought a new gigabit PCI express network adapter to see if my motherboard adapter was the problem but I still get the same download speed. Can't figure out what the problem is. I want my 400mbit/s download speed.

Solution
Try another known working, at speed, Ethernet cable. E.g., the cable used for the laptop.

On the desktop computer, doublecheck the network adapter's IPv4 configuration. Speed and duplex for example. Check for auto settings, try manual or if manual try auto.

Download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working, at speed, Ethernet cable. E.g., the cable used for the laptop.

On the desktop computer, doublecheck the network adapter's IPv4 configuration. Speed and duplex for example. Check for auto settings, try manual or if manual try auto.

Download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Solution