[SOLVED] My download speed is capped.

Jan 1, 2020
I reach about 165mb/s with IPv4 and about 183mb/s with IPv6 instead of 250mb/s . I tested the ethernet cable on a laptop which reached speeds of about 265 mb/s. My PC uses a Asus ROG Strix b350-f gaming Motherboard. I activated 1Gbit full duplex.

Thanks for your help in advance !

Solution
Leave the port set to auto if you set something else the router may get confused since it only runs in auto.

I was somewhat surprised a amd motherboard has a intel nic. Asus bundles some worthless gamer nic software that can cause issues. You want to uninstall it, there is no advantage unless you are doing stupid stuff like running torrent in the background while you play games.

If it still does not work I would try a program called IPERF and transfer data between 2 machines in your house. This program only tests the nic and the drivers so you would eliminate some things.
Leave the port set to auto if you set something else the router may get confused since it only runs in auto.

I was somewhat surprised a amd motherboard has a intel nic. Asus bundles some worthless gamer nic software that can cause issues. You want to uninstall it, there is no advantage unless you are doing stupid stuff like running torrent in the background while you play games.

If it still does not work I would try a program called IPERF and transfer data between 2 machines in your house. This program only tests the nic and the drivers so you would eliminate some things.

Solution
Let's figure out if it's a software or hardware issue. Download a linux live cd, boot it, and then run the speed test again. If you get the full 250Mbps, your hardware is good and it's a windows software issue. If you don't, you might have a bad cable or a bad nic. I'd try changing the cable first.