My drive can read but cannot burn anymore!

musicadd

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello,
I am so upset right here. My drive is MATSHITA BD CMB-UJ130AS. I did burn a lot of CDs and DVDs in the past to use in my car. However, it suddenly stops working. Because I have not used it a lot for a while (like a year or so) so I did not notice when the problem occurred. However, the drive still can read CD/DVD/Bluray disc without an issue.
The problem is whenever I want to burn a DVD (I tried with Windows burner). It said "The writer speed for the recordable disc is either too fast or too slow for your CD or DVD burner. Insert a disc that has a different write speed, then try again".
First I used memorex which I used to burn without a problem. Yet the problem persists so I decided to buy verbatim to try and the problem is still there. I also tried ALL the speed possible of Windows (8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, etc.) but still the same error.
I talked to Sony technicians and they said my drive is corrupted. However, I think if that is the case then the drive should not be able to read anything either, is that correct?
Please help me.
P/S: I updated all the drivers, too. By the way, I noticed the driver date is 2006 (in device manager) but when I ran an update (released in 2009), it said my drive is already up to date.

Solution
Replace the DVD drive with an Asus, Sony, LiteOn, LG. They are around $20.

I have a similar DVD drive that will read, but will not write. So I use this to read and the 2nd DVD drive to burn disks (my desktop has 2 DVD drives).
I agree that is probably the issue.

You could first try downloading and updating the FIRMWARE for that drive. It may overwrite the corrupted data on the drive.

Also, is it under WARRANTY? If so, attempt to exchange it (most warranties are a year and require printed or electronic proof of purchase. I even contacted NCIX to get my transaction number to solve a Warranty with one company.)

Here is the link to the firmware update. Download and run this program:
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNFW275D&upd_id=5326&os_id=28

(says "Vista" but should work on all Windows version)

**Let me know if this helped!

musicadd

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

It is out of warranty. I also updated all of my drivers. Talked to the technicians several times via chat support and that is their conclusion that my drive is corrupted. Thank you for helping me, anyway :).