[SOLVED] My drive is almost full-having problems moving contents to new drive using macrium reflect 7 or 8.

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
I had been backing up my windows 10 for years to my wd passport. When i went to use it says error. Never really ever had a backup program work. I have used macrium reflect in the past it worked great. But I am getting older and things are becoming more diffeicult for me. However i still refuse to let someone do it for me. Spent my life working on pcs. Retired 10 years ago. Just a little out of touch. When I do a disk clone with Macrium reflect everything runs fine it completes copy. You can see data on the drive. However when I put the new drive in place of old it says device error repair device and it will not boot. I have even tried another drive. What am i missing here. Thinking of buying softwhere.

USAFRet

Titan
For backups, clone is NOT what you want to do.

Macrium is fine, either paid or free.
An Image via Macrium results in a single file, comprising the contents of the drive or partition. And a bit smaller than the reported space, due to compression, etc.

But, we need some deeper insight as to what you have.

What drives do you have?
How full are they in the PC?

What is the target drive, and how full is that?

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
my old drive is a kingston 120gb ssd drive. the new is a wd 500gb ssd drive both are sata. Here is something i noticed. May main bd is a gigabyte usb 3 board. It has 6 sata ports. In my bios they show up as master and slave. I noticed after the clone my cd dive disappears. I have to go to device manager and
deinstall one of the (/atapi ide atapi) drivers for cd rom to show.
Is it important which one is master and which is slave. i chose master for new disk and slave for cd

USAFRet

Titan
A "clone" is for changing drives, right now. As in upgrading to a larger or different drive.
An Image is what you use for backups.

And I don't know where you're seeing this, but "master/slave" is not a thing any more.

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
I want to copy everything from c to new drive- install new drive and remove old drive and keep it as backup if new drive fails I have done this proceedure many times thru the years . Not sure why it fails now. Just noticed you are retired Air force. I spent 4 years in air force 50 years ago. Worked in AGE

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
no the 500gb drive . drive h the info on there now is the cloned data from c. looking at it now its not showing windows icon- which means no boot file. How do i install boot to this drive.
the 1 tb was my passport usb backup. that didnt work when i tried to use it the file said error

USAFRet

Titan
no the 500gb drive . drive h the info on there now is the cloned data from c. looking at it now its not showing windows icon- which means no boot file. How do i install boot to this drive.
the 1 tb was my passport usb backup. that didnt work when i tried to use it the file said error
OK, start over with the clone operation.

Macrium Reflect, and DELETE all existing partitions on the 500GB.

Cloning, thusly:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
I did all that- the problem i see is the from boot files are not being copied to new disk- how do I get boot on there. Is there a way to copy boot from rescue media. Thing is i cant get rescue media to boot off the cdrom. the cdrom is third party did not come with pc- The pc is some off brand. Everything works fine. Now I did migrate to windows 10 from windows 8.1 wonder if that has anything to do with it when i boot with new drive i get blue screen of death. It says device needs repair. Error code is 0x000000e. You need to have recovery tools. I can hook this drive up and it will work as secondary drive. Not what I want,. Also don't habe boot files on there.

USAFRet

Titan
I did all that- the problem i see is the from boot files are not being copied to new disk- how do I get boot on there. Is there a way to copy boot from rescue media. Thing is i cant get rescue media to boot off the cdrom. the cdrom is third party did not come with pc- The pc is some off brand. Everything works fine. Now I did migrate to windows 10 from windows 8.1 wonder if that has anything to do with it when i boot with new drive i get blue screen of death. It says device needs repair. Error code is 0x000000e. You need to have recovery tools. I can hook this drive up and it will work as secondary drive. Not what I want,. Also don't habe boot files on there.
Given a proper clone operation, ALL of it goes to the new drive.
Boot partition included.

Upgrading from 8.1 to 10 is not the issue.

So, lets investigate...
Power OFF.
Physically disconnect ALL drives except the C drive.
Power UP.

Does it boot properly?

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
It did not work same problem as before. However i decided to try cloning without extending the partition-it worked-talking to you on it now However i now have large drive with limited space. Hopefully i can extend the partition under disk management