My dual core processor runs only one core...Why?

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Hi guys i have: :hello:
A gigabyte G31M-ES2C Motherboard
with 2gb Ram
Intel Celeron 2.67 ghz socket 775 Dual core processor
MSI N9800GT 1GB DDR3 Graphics card
:)

But my problem is my games have the best graphics ,,,but my processor is battling to run the games...
It shows only 1 core instead of 2....
Also when starting up or playing games it runs on 100% :eek: ......................Please help
Thanx

Are you certain your board supports this particular CPU? You may need a BIOS update.

loneninja

Distinguished
What is the actual model of your Celeron?

100% load is normal for a single core while gaming, and even most dual cores with new games. It's also no surprise your cpu is struggling to keep up with your games, it's a very low end cpu.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Lol like I said, get a new(er) proc from AMD, they have great/good x3, and x4 procs for pretty cheap. If you still want dual core and you like intel go with the i3.

Good AMD x3 procs:
Phenom II x3 720 - 104$ on newegg

Good CHEAP AMD x4 procs:
Phenom II x4 810 - 134$ on Newegg
Phenom II x4 940 - 155$ on Newegg if you want the Cooler, if not its 140$
Phenom II x4 945 - 150-164$ On Newegg depending on what features you want.

Or if you have some money and you dont mind spending it pick the i5 or the i7. :)

:bounce:

The dude is just asking about a processor issue and you're telling him to spend money to buy an entirely new computer? o_O

@OP, what does your task manager show? 1 CPU or 2 CPU processes? What about your hardware-utility configuration?

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hey I was just saying that it might be a good upgrade... :) But yes if he wants to keep the proc, thats great for him! :)

You should go to the Device manager and make sure all of your component drivers are up to speed, try a windows update to see if it sees the problem (In most cases that never works though, at least in my experience...), update your mobo BIOS, and if you are desperate do a clean install (yea i know its a pain :)).

Hope that helps!

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Hi all of you thank you very much for all your comments i really appreciate it... :sol:
Where can i find the model number of my cpu?
How do i update my bios? Can something go wrong? If yes is there a way to fix it?
I installed the operating system with all the components in (except the graphics card that i put in a week later)......The processor was running only one core when i installed and i have done it twice but no changes :(

This will shock you guys....
Just to get to the link from my mailbox to this webpage the processor was running at 100%
I tried playing Need For speed most wanted (Old game) The graphics are awesome but laggs...While i drive fast it loads the map as i go :eek:
Please help guys

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Yes guys at the moment i dont have alot of cash to throw around...lol

I tried posting a screen shot but it wont let me :(
it only shows one cpu process....I went to view one graph per cpu but its faded out for only one and theres no second option

I tried going to msconfig...but it also has only one cpu not 2 :(

No, the CPU model should be something like this:

E6700 (65nm Core2Duo)
or
E8400 (45nm Core2Duo)
or
Q9400 (45nm Core2Quad)

Who sold you the computer? Did you buy it whole or did you build it yourself? Maybe you actually have a single core CPU, or a dual-core with a defective core...

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

I get something like this :Genuine Intel(R) Celeron(R) D
I bought the cpu secondhand
Everything in my computer is new except the cpu,harddrives,and dvd rom
I hope its not faulty :(

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

He is using Intel Celeron E3400 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775
it's the only one listed with Intel that is Celeron dual core 2.6GHz

It should be in Device Manager.

Oh, and the fact that it says "Celeron D" isn't a good sign - the Celeron Ds were single core.

sirillia

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Oh no :(
My computer is useless with that processor now
Does anyone know how to clock it in bios as i dont want to blow it?

AhMaD-ObEiD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello, I also have an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.00 GHZ and I think my laptop is using only one core (from what appears in task manager) but in my case the 2 processors are available in the Device Manager (I'm using win 7). So how can I make it use 2 processors? BTW my version of bios doesn't include changing processor settings, is there a way to upgrade it?