My dvd writer connot read dvd but read cd? what i do to solve this problem

subhajit halder

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,my dvd writer read cd and some dvd but donot read a lot of dvd .when i insert a dvd in dvd drive and open than so please insert a disc .

Solution
This is (apparently) quite a common problem with DVD drives. I have seen it happen on at least three separate occasions on three different computers. The drive works perfectly fine for a year or so, then starts to act up. Replacing it is the only solution in my experience.

w33dg0d

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Sounds like a driver issue, maybe your manufacturer has updated the firmware for the reader.
However i am agreeing with mibix that you should replace your drive as maybe your current is legacy and does not support the codecs that newer DVD's use.

This is (apparently) quite a common problem with DVD drives. I have seen it happen on at least three separate occasions on three different computers. The drive works perfectly fine for a year or so, then starts to act up. Replacing it is the only solution in my experience.

Solution
I believe that there are separate lasers and electronic circuits for the CD and DVD functions. When these drives go it's almost always a question of one of the functions failing (seems to be the CD function usually, but that doesn't mean it can't happen the other way). My DVD writer failed in exactly this way recently; it cost all of £13 to replace it.