[SOLVED] My Epson WF-3520 is printing advertisements on top of everything I print.

Batmann77

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Currently using Windows 10, 64-bit, connected via wireless to an Epson WF-3520. Our internet is password protected.

Just bought new inks for this second hand printer that I got for free. First few prints came out as normal, but now everything I print, whether it's from the internet or a document/image on my PC, comes with advertising printed over my stuff.

The advertising is from ourdeal.com.au.

How did this happen, and how can I stop it?

Kind regards,

Jim.

Solution
Second hand printer that you got for free....

Where did the free printer's drivers come from: a provided CD, Driver Easy, or some other download site....?

Does the following link provide the User Guide for your Epson?

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/wf3520/wf3520ug.pdf

See Page 73 and check the Watermark setting.

Compare the setting(s) between the computers being used to print. A computer printing adverts and a computer that does not.
In theory, it would actually be fairly trivial to install a virus on the host, that overlays any print job with advertising banners, though I have never heard of such a thing being done. However, I would scan the computer with a virus/malware suite to see what's up.

I really don't see an easy way of actually targeting the printer, itself, for such shenanigans.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager to see what is being launched at startup.

Some download or update may have added in a background app that watches for print jobs and then inserts/overlays the adds.

Might have been via one of those less than obvious "I agree" options that slipped in along with some other app you are using, trying, testing, etc...

Especially if you have downloaded any free or trial software.

Ralston18 may have the right of it.....Start looking at any software you may have recently installed--particularly something free that you may have downloaded and installed on that machine.

....Wait a minute....you can print from the same computer to another printer, and you DON'T get the adverts?

Ralston18

Titan
Second hand printer that you got for free....

Where did the free printer's drivers come from: a provided CD, Driver Easy, or some other download site....?

Does the following link provide the User Guide for your Epson?

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/wf3520/wf3520ug.pdf

See Page 73 and check the Watermark setting.

Compare the setting(s) between the computers being used to print. A computer printing adverts and a computer that does not.

Reactions: Batmann77
Solution