[SOLVED] my ethernet cable has an unidentified network so i have to use my normal wifi but my non cable wifi is super slow....

Sep 21, 2020
The ethernet cable used to work but now it doesnt. I have wireless wifi but its slow as hell and takes 5mins to open a chrome webpage. It shows that im connected to wifi but my ethernet is an unidentafied network. I have followed thousands of tutorials on youtube and none worked, ive plugged it in and out, did like 5 commands on command prompt and it still doesnt work. Please reply fast. Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
The ethernet cable used to work but now it doesnt. I have wireless wifi but its slow as hell and takes 5mins to open a chrome webpage. It shows that im connected to wifi but my ethernet is an unidentafied network. I have followed thousands of tutorials on youtube and none worked, ive plugged it in and out, did like 5 commands on command prompt and it still doesnt work. Please reply fast. Thank you.
Where does this ethernet cable go? Directly to the router? To a switch? To a wall port?
Have you tried a brand new, factory made ethernet cable ?

Sep 21, 2020
Where does this ethernet cable go? Directly to the router? To a switch? To a wall port?
Have you tried a brand new, factory made ethernet cable ?
" I'm not too smart with pcs but it comes from a tp-link and goes into my pc. it looks like a normal cable but has this thing on the end of it that i have to press down in order for it to go in the pc, and yes its plugged in properly. i checked in control panel and it says its connected to my pc but not to the internet

it says my wifi is secured, it does work but things take 10minutes to load. and my ethernet as an unidentified network

EDIT: it is newish, its 9months old and has been working fine up until 2weeks ago

kanewolf

Titan
I'm not too smart with pcs but it comes from a tp-link and goes into my pc. it looks like a normal cable but has this thing on the end of it that i have to press down in order for it to go in the pc, and yes its plugged in properly. i checked in control panel and it says its connected to my pc but not to the internet
Is that "TP Link" your primary router?

If it worked until about 2 weeks ago, what changed?

kanewolf

Titan
i do not understand you saying "The first thing to test, when wired internet doesn't work is a new cable."

please rephrase it. Ive plugged it in and out
The physical cable can fail. There are 8 wires in the cable. If they don't make connection, then you can have problems. You can't see the failure. It "looks fine". It may not be.
A brand new cable is always the first thing to replace when you are having issues with wired ethernet connectivity.

kanewolf

Titan
i do not understand you saying "The first thing to test, when wired internet doesn't work is a new cable."

please rephrase it. Ive plugged it in and out
Plugging it in and out is not equivalent to changing to a different brand new cable.
You need to use a physically different cable than the one you have been using.
I don't know how to rephrase it. Replace DOES NOT EQUAL unplug/plug.
You are not reading the word REPLACE in my posts.

Sep 21, 2020
sorry if the same message keeps apearing of me saying something, its because the wifi cuts out so i retype the message but then the wifi comes back so then they both send

kanewolf

Titan
The other thing to try is use your cell phone as a hotspot. If that also has significant problems, then you probably have a software problem on your computer.
Have you done a virus and malware scan?
What does the network displays in Windows task manager look like? Are they showing a lot of traffic ?

You need to try the following or you will lose your job in 3 days:
  • purchase a new cable and replace the existing one. If it does not fix the problem unplug the router and the computer and then turn them on again and try again.
  • If this does not fix the problem, you need to download the following iso somehow (use your hotspot if wifi doesn't work):
https://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

Write this to a cd and boot off the cd. If you do not have a cd, write to a usb flash drive and boot off of it using rufus:

Once you have booted, go to the browser and see if you have a proper wired connection. If you do, then your windows is messed up and needs to be either taken to a shop to be fixed, or just wipe it and start over.

If it does NOT work, then your router port may have failed. Move the cable to another port on the router. If it still does not work, your motherboard ethernet port failed. To save time and your job, go get a usb to ethernet adapter and plug it in and use it instead.

Sep 21, 2020
You need to try the following or you will lose your job in 3 days:
  • purchase a new cable and replace the existing one. If it does not fix the problem unplug the router and the computer and then turn them on again and try again.
  • If this does not fix the problem, you need to download the following iso somehow (use your hotspot if wifi doesn't work):
https://www.spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.2_public.iso

Write this to a cd and boot off the cd. If you do not have a cd, write to a usb flash drive and boot off of it using rufus:

Once you have booted, go to the browser and see if you have a proper wired connection. If you do, then your windows is messed up and needs to be either taken to a shop to be fixed, or just wipe it and start over.

If it does NOT work, then your router port may have failed. Move the cable to another port on the router. If it still does not work, your motherboard ethernet port failed. To save time and your job, go get a usb to ethernet adapter and plug it in and use it instead.
thank you so much the download is working but will take an hour ill see what happens from here. I cannot afford a new cable as i am in a very tight spot money wise. My friend is gonna give me his extra cable. And i asked my boss if i can get the assignment down a little later so i still have a week. ill update this soon!

TRENDING THREADS