Question My ethernet cable stopped working suddenly

Oct 31, 2021
I have a lenovo legion Y720 laptop and i have been using a ethernet cable on it just fine, i went away somewhere for 1 week and had to use wireless wifi, when i came back and connected the cable it didn't work, i have been trying so many solutions and searching around the internet but nothing works, i don't know much about these stuff but can someone help me?

edit: also i'm on windows 10 because i can't update to latest, it says my laptop doesn't meet the requirements for it, also when i troubleshoot it does say that there is a problem with the driver for connection to local network adapter

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
On your laptop check to ensure that the wireless network adapter is off/disabled and that the wired network adapter is enabled/on.

Both network adapters should not be enabled/on at the same time.

Try another known working Ethernet cable.

Failing the above:

At the Command Prompt run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.

Oct 31, 2021
On your laptop check to ensure that the wireless network adapter is off/disabled and that the wired network adapter is enabled/on.

Both network adapters should not be enabled/on at the same time.

Try another known working Ethernet cable.

Failing the above:

At the Command Prompt run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.
I don't think i have changed any of that and where do i find all of that network adapter to disable and enable, when i go to network connections only the wifi that im using is there.

when i do the command this is what pops up:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP-5PN1U3BG
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter connection to local network* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-5B-C2-F5-99-11
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter connection to local network* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 62-5B-C2-F5-99-11

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-5B-C2-F5-99-11
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::982f:7783:bc84:dbef%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 31, 2021 6:16:37 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 31, 2021 7:31:12 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 156261314
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-9E-AC-C1-54-E1-AD-F4-BA-02
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ralston18

Titan
IPconfig /all is showing that your laptop is using wireless connectivity.

Specifically: "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter "

Some laptops will detect and change configuration when an Ethernet cable is connected.

On your laptop:

Plug in the Ethernet cable.

Use "WIN" +"I" to open the Windows Settings screen. (WIN + I means press and hold the Windows key and then press I.

Once you are into the Settings screen click/select Network & Internet.

Under advanced network options click change adapter options

You should see icons representing the wireless and wired network adapters.

Right click "wireless" to disable the wireless network adapter. Then right click the wired network adapter and enable it.

Allow Windows a few minutes to get things up and running again.

= = = =

Do be aware that changing from wireless to wired can be done via various paths.

FYI:

https://support.lenovo.com/es/en/solutions/ht500407

Explore the screens and options a bit before doing anything.

Oct 31, 2021
IPconfig /all is showing that your laptop is using wireless connectivity.

Specifically: "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter "

Some laptops will detect and change configuration when an Ethernet cable is connected.

On your laptop:

Plug in the Ethernet cable.

Use "WIN" +"I" to open the Windows Settings screen. (WIN + I means press and hold the Windows key and then press I.

Once you are into the Settings screen click/select Network & Internet.

Under advanced network options click change adapter options

You should see icons representing the wireless and wired network adapters.

Right click "wireless" to disable the wireless network adapter. Then right click the wired network adapter and enable it.

Allow Windows a few minutes to get things up and running again.

= = = =

Do be aware that changing from wireless to wired can be done via various paths.

FYI:

https://support.lenovo.com/es/en/solutions/ht500407

Explore the screens and options a bit before doing anything.

i hope the image shows but the only thing that shows up when i go to the "change adapter options" is my WiFi and thats it, before i had some VPN i downloaded but removed and hamachi but i removed that too lmao

Ralston18

Titan
Go into Device Manager.

Under Network adapters what do you see?

Any Realtek devices?

Or Hamachi?

If you right click Network adapters and then select Scan for hardware changes does the wired network adapter reappear? (Ensure that Show hidden devices is checked via the View tap.)

Also try plugging in the Ethernet cable and running the built in Windows Troubleshooters.

WIN + I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters> Network Adapter

Oct 31, 2021
Go into Device Manager.

Under Network adapters what do you see?

Any Realtek devices?

Or Hamachi?

If you right click Network adapters and then select Scan for hardware changes does the wired network adapter reappear? (Ensure that Show hidden devices is checked via the View tap.)

Also try plugging in the Ethernet cable and running the built in Windows Troubleshooters.

WIN + I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters> Network Adapter
the realtek one showed up when i did the scan and show hidden devices, but i see no wired ones, already did the troubleshoot and it shows that there is nothing wrong, also there is no hamachi showing either

Do you get any error message when you attempt to activate. Maybe in the event monitor ?

Does it show the driver is valid. Maybe microsoft pushed a update, you have to really dig for the option that prevents driver updates.

Does your laptop have a bios option to disable the ethernet, I know many have a button to turn off the wifi.

Oct 31, 2021
Do you get any error message when you attempt to activate. Maybe in the event monitor ?

Does it show the driver is valid. Maybe microsoft pushed a update, you have to really dig for the option that prevents driver updates.

Does your laptop have a bios option to disable the ethernet, I know many have a button to turn off the wifi.
which one do you mean about activate? be more specific, there is no driver for the ethernet cable only wifi, like i said i don't know much about these stuff.

I haven't touched anything the ethernet just stopped working when i came back and i haven't touched anything that could have disabled it, could it stop working if my storage is full or i can't update my nvidia driver?

also when i troubleshoot it does say that there is a problem with the driver for connection to local network adapter

Last edited: