[SOLVED] My Ethernet connection disconnects after i've upgraded my motherboard

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
After I put my PC to sleep and turn it back on, it says i'm not connected and the lights aren't flashing, after restarting my PC it starts to work again, I've recently upgraded to a new motherboard (MSI Tomahawk MAX) and a CPU (Ryzen 7 3700x). A person in a previous thread said that it's because of the old motherboard softwares that i've had on my 2 year old OS on the previous mobo, I've reset my windows but I've kept my personal files but it's still doing the same thing, any suggestions? maybe I needed to delete my personal files also?

Solution
I would say it is the motherboard. A powerful cpu like the 3700x should not be paired with a B450 motherboard (even if it is a good one). Have you updated the BIOS? You can try to install windows (without activating it) on a hard drive or some other drive and try booting off of it without any other drive installed. Like this you can get an idea whether it is your personal files causing these problems.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I would say it is the motherboard. A powerful cpu like the 3700x should not be paired with a B450 motherboard (even if it is a good one). Have you updated the BIOS? You can try to install windows (without activating it) on a hard drive or some other drive and try booting off of it without any other drive installed. Like this you can get an idea whether it is your personal files causing these problems.

Solution

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Sure i'll try, why shouldn't I pair a powerful CPU with that motherboard?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Sure i'll try, why shouldn't I pair a powerful CPU with that motherboard?
The motherboard is good, but the thing is that the it was not meant for 3rd gen ryzen (it was last gen), this doesn't mean it won't work with a BIOS update for 3rd gen. It would be best to pair the 3700x with a x570 mobo to get the best out of it. You can get better overclocks and all that, gen 4 pcie, better vrms and much more. The motherboard might be an issue (sorry I wrote that it is in the issue in my first reply), but chances are not that high.

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
The motherboard is good, but the thing is that the it was not meant for 3rd gen ryzen (it was last gen), this doesn't mean it won't work with a BIOS update for 3rd gen. It would be best to pair the 3700x with a x570 mobo to get the best out of it. You can get better overclocks and all that, gen 4 pcie, better vrms and much more. The motherboard might be an issue (sorry I wrote that it is in the issue in my first reply), but chances are not that high.
Ah okay but this motherboard was 3rd gen ready? but fair enough, i guess I can't go back now :sweatsmile: