My Ethernet Is screwed up with my wireless extender.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
I just built a new computer, chock full of a wireless card. I got windows 10 installed and updated using my card, installed all of my drivers, and then tried connecting my Ethernet. The internet in our home doesn't reach throughout so I had to connect it to my extender (labeled with '_EXT' at the end). Fortunately, I was lucky enough to have an Ethernet cord go from my modem on the complete opposite side of the house so I didn't have to worry about connection when I had my old computer. I got my LAN driver installed and it showed my WLAN card was connected to _EXT which is right, and my wired cable was connected to that same thing! It's plugged straight into my modem, not needing the use of my extender. If I'm not wrong, my activity light showing on my adapter should light up immediately after I plug it in, and then give me internet a few seconds later. It takes about 10 seconds for it to realize there's something plugged in, and identifies it as _EXT. 30 seconds later, it says "no internet" or "limited." I looked up my ipconfig and it gave me a wired address that was nowhere close to looking like an actual IP address in both IPv4 and IPv6. I appreciate you reading all that I have to say. I would love for you to help me as much as you can.

Thanks

Solution
OK... you are near the functional limits of the acceptable length of cable, if you are at 200' the "max" is 320'. If the terminations are not really good, you are decreasing the capacity of the cable. I'd suggest re-terminating the ends and make sure they are up to true standard, not just half assed.
look and follow this... almost as good as me teaching you.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Terminating-an-Ethernet-CAT5eCAT6-Cable/

read it 2x before starting...

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016

There's only 2 ends to my super long Ethernet that goes from one side of my house to another. I tried connecting my steam link to it and it worked perfectly. I tried taking out my WLAN card to see if that made a difference... failure.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Update: I finally got one of those BSODs. I don't know why, all I did was reinstall my wifi card to start installing all of the usual things. I downloaded chrome and used finite to download all of my usual things you download when getting a new computer. During my installation, it just quit. Blue screen. I don't know if it is because my internet is still screwed up, or if it was a different problem. I just thought I would point that out to you.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
So... I sorta fixed some of my problem. I completely restarted my whole computer. Deleted and re installed windows 10, this time without my wireless card. I got my drivers installed, and now my IPv4 is connected, but not IPv6. I tried going to the internet, and apparently trying to get internet with only one IP address still doesn't make it work. I did ipconfig and this is what I came up with:

IPv6 address......................: 2607:fcc8:8ec7:2e00:1d31:ec8c:6d77:800b
Temporary IPv6 address......: 2607:fcc8:8ec7:2e00:a0f9:8b78:75a6:2fd1
Link local IPv6 address........: fe80: :1d31:ec8c:6d77:800b%3
IPv4 address......................: 192.***.0.**
Subnet mask......................: 255.255.***.0
Default gateway..................: fe80: :2e30:33ff:fe8f : d5b2%3
192.***.0.1

Lord knows what you can do with the internet these days so I blocked a few things out. Let me know if you really need them

Those are LAN addresses, not WAN so masking a part of it is useless....

Can/did you plug into your primary router directly after this reinstall?

Most of the time, if you are going to plug directly into your modem, you should power it down for a couple minutes so the ISP side of it will "let go" of the last device's' MAC address. Power it back on and after the lights are green, plug in your computer. MOST modems are DHCP, meaning they will supply the LAN side addressing without intervention.

MOST modems will also let you log onto them, the address is normally what you get from the DHCP as the Gateway address. Try it. If you see a good connection to the Internet in the Modem and you still cannot get to Google.com, call the ISP and have them do a reset of the circuit.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
so... i took your advice, and after a little tinkering, i was able to get about 150 KB/s using ethernet alone. i reinstalled my wifi card to get at least 2 MB/s but with or without, i should be getting 7+. i put new ends on my cord but didn't do me any good. any suggestions that will let me get the full speed of my internet again? i tried plugging something different than my Steam link into my ethernet cord, and it was fine, i got 50Mbps (which is what im supposed to get) and also tried plugging my computer in using a different cord in my office and got 50 Mbps. the only reason i don't want to leave it in that spot is because i have no room in my office, i keep it in my room. i custom made my cable so it will reach far enough and i'm afraid i have to replace it. it took me a long time feeding that cable through the house. this is my last resort.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016

it's a cat 5e and it reaches from one side of my house to the other (about 200 ft).It's very hard to try to tell if it is kinked in any way up in my attic so i really have mo way of telling. i looked in the spots i could obviously see, and it looked to me like there were no kinks. i wanted cat 6 but my dad is a contractor and he keeps 1000ft of cat 5e with him at all times.

OK... you are near the functional limits of the acceptable length of cable, if you are at 200' the "max" is 320'. If the terminations are not really good, you are decreasing the capacity of the cable. I'd suggest re-terminating the ends and make sure they are up to true standard, not just half assed.
look and follow this... almost as good as me teaching you.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Terminating-an-Ethernet-CAT5eCAT6-Cable/

read it 2x before starting...

Solution