[SOLVED] My Ethernet Speed is being capped at 100 mbps and I cannot find a solution

Dec 7, 2020
Firstly, hello and thanks for any help.

Will be as precise as I can.

Last week was upgraded to Fibre to the House with BT in UK. My maximum speed on the package is 150mbps. I can get very nearly those speeds on all my wireless devices. At 148mbps in the same room, drops to 140mbps in other rooms. So I know the smart hub is doing what it should.

I connect two pcs to the network via Powerlines. The max speed on the powerlines is meant to be 1000mbps.

The Pc's are connected to the powerlines via Cat5e cable on one PC and Cat 7 cable on the second.

First PC no issues its a solid 150mbps.

The second PC, my pc, is not getting above 100mbps. So far to resolve this I have tried switching the powerline adapters. No change. So they are not the issue.
I have tried different cat 7 and cat 8 cables but no change.
I have tried a usb 3.0 to ethernet connector but no change still maxing at 100mbps.

I have updated the lan drivers to latest but again no change.
Windows 10 is fully updated.

My ethernet is Realtek PCIeGbE Family Controller

I have ensured its sitting at 1gbps in the settings and tweeked the settings as found as previous solutions to this issue.
I have used TCP otimizer on the settings to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

At a loss as to where the problem actually lies. Do I try yet another cable? I can't use the cable which I know works for other PC as it needs to be 2 metres and that one is just a short one.
Do I try a wireless card in the PC? Easy enough to fit but would have to be bought and reluctant to do so if its still going to get throttled at 100mbps.

Anyone able to suggest something I may have missed? Many thanks

Solution
You should consider yourself lucky to get 150mbps using powerline on the first computer. That's at about the maximum speed I see most houses get with powerline. Typically, I see 30-80mbps with powerline, with some getting a little over 100mbps.

While your first computer gets 150mbps on the same breaker as the second computer. There are places inside the wall where electrical cables split/splice/branch and run closely to other circuits, as well as loads like refrigerators, wall chargers for phones, tv's, etc..... which can all introduce noise into the line. Your second computer likely has more noise near that outlet and 100mbps is the best it can achieve.

A better option to powerline is MOCA using your tv coaxial cable running...
I believe that the powerline adapters, while they say 1000mb, they really aren't. It's a theoretical maximum of the physical port on them.

to check if this is true, put the pc next to the router, and connect it to the router directly for a hot minute and check if it's good.

Dec 7, 2020
The powerlines are giving me the maximum speed I can get on the other PC. While they may very well not get to 1000 they are easily hitting the 150 on the other PC.

Look at the ethernet status and see if the port is running at 100mbit or gigabit. If it is running at 100m then it is likely some cable issue or the port on the powerline unit. If it is gigabit then the problem is the powerline network itself. The so called 1000 speed on powerline is a lie just like wifi numbers are a lie. The speed you get on powerline greatly depends on the wiring quality of your house and the exact path it takes.

I suppose you could try to move your pc to where the working pc is and see if it works there. I would also take it near the router and plug in directly just to be really sure there is nothing wrong with the machine.

Dec 7, 2020
The port is definately telling me its running at a gigabit. I have swopped over the powerlines and it made no difference. I have just purchased a new cable from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow. Its a well reviewed 5e. Will try out the pc where the other one is tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020
It can get 1gbps. As stated it is easily getting the 150mbps on my wireless equipment. Having looked at its internet settings its showing as

Connection status:

Connected

Downstream:

1000Mbps

Upstream:

1000Mbp

You need to bypass the powerlines and connect your system directly to the router first. If you're limited to 100Mbps there, then boot a linux live cd/usb and test again. If you're still getting only 100Mbps, replace the cable.

I've been using powerlines for decades--you'll be lucky to see over 100Mbps out of them except in ideal situations.

I somewhat feel my easiest longer term solution is to go for the wireless pce card.
If it is an issue with the PC, this won't solve the issue. And wired>wireless for the long term.

Just get a long cable and connect it directly or try a linux live cd/usb to narrow down the issue. I'm really thinking it's just some cabling or a speed negotiation issue between your router and the powerline (the powerline to system segment seems to be at 1G).

Dec 7, 2020
Update: I moved the setup to the smart hub (what wasn't much fun!). In short I get all but the full speed when directly connected. That tells me a number of things.

The PC setup is fine. It will do the speed if I can get the speed to it.
The cable is fine. Its a Cat8 which didn't work on the original position but did work connected directly to the hub.
That leaves the Powerline Adaptor. That one I struggle with as it worked on the other PC which is on the same electrical ring as my one. However it must not work on my socket and I have no other sockets to connect it to without trails of cable which isn't going to happen.

I still have a new cable coming today from Amazon. I will try it but expect it not to work. It looks like its a PCe Wireless card has to be the solution unless anyone has another one.

Dec 7, 2020
Cable arrived and fittled. No change. Looks like card is the best option if I want to get max speed. Now its just a choice of which one. Not looking to pay a fortune but at the same time not wanting to buy cheap buy twice.

You should consider yourself lucky to get 150mbps using powerline on the first computer. That's at about the maximum speed I see most houses get with powerline. Typically, I see 30-80mbps with powerline, with some getting a little over 100mbps.

While your first computer gets 150mbps on the same breaker as the second computer. There are places inside the wall where electrical cables split/splice/branch and run closely to other circuits, as well as loads like refrigerators, wall chargers for phones, tv's, etc..... which can all introduce noise into the line. Your second computer likely has more noise near that outlet and 100mbps is the best it can achieve.

A better option to powerline is MOCA using your tv coaxial cable running through your house.

If the second computer is close enough to the router to use wireless AC, I would just do that as it would be the cheapest option and is fairly reliable as long as your have decent signal strength.

Solution

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
And I would guess that it was a poor quality Cat5e. Nothing to do with 5e vs 6.
Okay then . can you answer my other question too please ?

"Cat Ludicrious".
aka LudaCat! :D
luda-cat.jpg

Unless you're using 6a, 6 didn't do much of anything above the 5e spec--and the chinese cheat on the cat levels all the time, so it will more than likely be some marginal 5 or 5e at best no matter what marketing bs they print on the package.