Question My ethernet stops working when playing games

Aug 13, 2021
So I've had this problem for a while, and I cant find a solution for it. To be clear, I am not very familiar with networking and the terms that goes with it, so please excuse any misunderstandings.

The problem is as follows: When I launch ANY game from my PC, the internet dies, or more precisely the ethernet goes to 'no internet' status. This causes me to disconnect from the server if I am playing a online game. However, the weird part is that it does not only occur during online games, it also happens when playing a singleplayer game (i've tried several games, including LEGO games and minecraft). Also, the internet randomly decides to change its status to unidentified network, this happens while playing games as well. But what I find peculiar with all these issues, is the fact that I can usually be on my PC for several hours. I could be watching movies or any other content, and then suddenly when I launch a game it goes totally haywire. There has however been intstances where I have experienced the internet to drop out without having a game open. I could not find a good reason for this to happen at that time.

My currenct workaround is literally just plugging and unplugging the etnernet cable until the PC gives me the internet back. I have already tried several fixes, such as resetting the internet card and other settings. I should also add that this usually just happens two times, and then the problem doesn't occur until I restart my PC.

Thanks in advance for your help, every advice is appreciated.

HARDWARE SPECS:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
RAM 16,0 GB
ASUS Z370-E
AORUS GTX 1080ti

OS SPECS:
Windows 10 Home
21H1
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

EDIT: Specs included.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the internet dies.

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Aug 13, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the internet dies.

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

I followed some of your steps, and looked at the event viewer at the time the problem occured. I got a result, however this time I also encountered several lag spikes in game. So i'll address those first, they all gave the same result in the Event Manager:

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Network link is disconnected.

If it's of importance, all of them also came from this source: e1i65x64

Afterwards, fortunately at the end of the game, I lost my connection in the way i described above. Event Manager gives me this message (translated from norwegian to english):

Name solution for the name wpad was paused after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I hope this gives you some insight to my problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you see any Event 27's?

Any errors in Reliability History?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that then manually download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Aug 13, 2021
Do you see any Event 27's?

Any errors in Reliability History?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that then manually download the network adapter drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

All of the earlier mentioned e1i65x64 issues that caused lag spikes had an event 27 mark. The reliability history does not show any sign of problems with the application I was using at the time of the events.

Which troubleshooters do you mean, precisely. I already ran the troubleshooter from the internet settings, and it gave no result as far as I can remember.

It is very strange that a game will break your internet but it could be purely traffic related and even though a game does not use much bandwidth the type of traffic is different. It sends and receives a constant steam of data.

As mentioned in the above post the first thing you always try with these type problems is to replace the driver. Get it directly from the Intel website. Microsoft has a nasty habit of replacing drivers with generic ones on a windows update.

Aug 13, 2021
Troubleshooters:

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

You can also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

However, start with the drivers.....

I followed your steps and installed the newest driver I could find for the I219-V on intels website (v26.4), it did not work unfortunately.
I thought it would work for some time, I had to boot up a game to see if I could force the problem. As the internet went out I got a ton of response from event viewer. Within a minute e1dexpress reported 6 problems (event 27's) and the DNS client events had three problems (1014). I ran the troubleshooter, and got a familiar response, as well as a new one.

Ethernet does not have a valid IP-configuration.
Standard gateway not availible.

Surprisingly, i did also run into a difficulty before trying to install the driver. The internet somehow died before I started a game or anything, and it was a event 27 called e1dexpress. When it happend I started a troubleshoot as you suggested, and got this errormessage:

Ethernet does not have a valid IP-configuration.

At this point my internet was set to unidentified network, with no internet connection.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model modem? Make and model router? Note: could be one combined device - modem/router.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Try as many different physical network connections as you can via known working wall jacks, Ethernet cables, and LAN ports.

Try your computer on other known working (stable) network connections.

Try other known working computers using your computer's normal network connection path.

Determine if the lost of connectivity stays with your network connection path or follows your computer when your computer is connected via a different stable stable network connection path.

Aug 13, 2021
The issue seems to have been resolved for the moment. I don't know exactly what repaired it, but I changed internet cables and when I switched back it apparently worked just fine for some reason. I'll come back if I experience more of the same trouble, anyways thanks for the help.