Question My EVGA 2080 gets super hot all of a sudden

Dec 7, 2022
So just to clear things up from the get go, I'm no PC guru but I'm not oblivious either.

My 2080 was running fine a month or so ago, able to run the new Modern Warfare 2 in 1440p at medium to high settings with temps around high 60 degrees. I decided to use a custom fan curve with X1 precision and re-apply the thermal paste when I noticed it was hitting 80 degrees when playing FiveM (modded GTA). I have cleaned out the heat sink, made sure it's screwed in correctly, both fans are spinning at the correct percentage I had set, cleaned my entire PC of dust, made sure everything is seated correctly and that there is good air flow throughout the case and now my temps are hitting 80 degrees when playing banished in 1080 when I used to be able to run that game at maxed settings, 1440p with super low temps of high 50s/low 60s.

I honestly don't have any idea of what is causing such high temperatures. I really don't have the funds to replace anything but I was hoping that some of you more experienced folk would help me get to the bottom of my issues and get things back to normal.

SPECS:

I7-6700k
Asus Tuf mk 1 motherboard
EVGA RTX 2080 XC
32gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
EVGA 800w power supply
Corsair h150i Rgb AIO cooler

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps the custom fan curve is not doing as it should. Can the system be rolled back to pre-fan curve?

Determine if temperatures return to "normal" or otherwise lower values.

What thermal paste was used and how was the paste applied?

PSU: how old? Original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Could be that the fan curve is creating a higher power demand that the PSU is unable to provide or otherwise keep up with during game peaks.

Or could simply be coincidental - the PSU beginning to falter and fail just on its' own.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GPU should begin to throttle at 83C, which is normal. 2080 XC is a mid-range EVGA card, wouldn't such low temperatures typically.

You must have had something limiting the frame rate before. Or you just didn't notice the GPU was getting that warm before.

You mention a custom fan curve. Did you set it to be less than the RPM it was already doing for noise? If you had better results with the stock settings, revert.

Reactions: norcalsc
Dec 7, 2022
Perhaps the custom fan curve is not doing as it should. Can the system be rolled back to pre-fan curve?

Determine if temperatures return to "normal" or otherwise lower values.

What thermal paste was used and how was the paste applied?

PSU: how old? Original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Could be that the fan curve is creating a higher power demand that the PSU is unable to provide or otherwise keep up with during game peaks.

Or could simply be coincidental - the PSU beginning to falter and fail just on its' own.

Hmm, I didn't realize the power supply could affect the gpu temps that severely? I have had this power supply for quite awhile and was from a second hand system.

No, I set the curve purely to try and keep the card cool which it kinda does but still getting a lot warmer than usual and the noise is horrendous. I have it set so it's 5% higher than the temp. example: 70% at 65 Degrees. I don' have anything limiting frame rates on any of the games I play.

I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AS5 isn't a great thermal compound these days. Just has a long history. Though should be alright on a GPU. Did you replace thermal pads or re-use?

Are your clock speeds still good on the GPU? Performance?

I just don't see how high 50s while gaming is possible unless the GPU is barely ticking along. My 3080Ti hits mid-50s with custom water cooling at stock settings.

But you say it has gotten louder. Maybe the fans are having issues? (Not usual for two to go at once though)

I wouldn't think a PSU would do anything to the temperatures unless it was on the verge of overheating itself and dumping its heat into the chassis. If it is the typical installation where it draws in outside air and exhausts it out the back, it should have minimal impact on GPU temperatures.

TRENDING THREADS