Question My EVGA gtx 970 died could it have been PSU

Feb 9, 2022
Hello all i was wondering if you could help me sort this out. As a little bit of background i used to have my gpu on an older system and often had the problem that my pc would turn on but wont start and after many resets it would work normally. I changed all my components but my gpu and HDD and to my surprise the problem was still there in a way. The pc would start and inmediately reset once or twice by itself the started normally. Untill yesterday while in escape from tarkov menu my pc went of and would not turn back on. I unplugged my gpu cleaned it and placed it back on and i could get to my desktop normally but there was a noise lic an electronic lighter, some electric buzz i inmediately turned off and started my pc without the graphics card and the noise was gone. Removed the heat sink from gpu and cleaned the old thermal paste since my gpu is at least 6 years old and when i placed it back and turned it on there was black smoke and that was it. Sorry for the long text but I am really concerned it could have been the PSU and I dont want to install a new GPU untill i am sure it wasnt a faulty PSU.

I have read that the initial reset could have been due to rams timmings but i dont know any more.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2022
Sorry i forgot to reply your comment, Evga 850 BQ 850 watts bronze my mobo is an aorus pro ax b560 with an i5 11300f
Thanks for your response

Upon some investigation i found out a mosfet is what got damaged on my gpu since I oppened it i dont know if that is common from wear or if it was due to a faulty mobo or psu