My EVGA GTX 980 TI Hybrids SLI temps are getting to 55C and 10 degrees different

MeloDRUMatic

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
The top card at load is 55C and the bottom one at load is 43C. The top card is set to push/pull on the top of the chassis as an exhaust and the bottom card is set to push/pull on the back as an exhaust. I have read that most hybrid's don't get above 50C. So i am confused why one of my cards is getting above that and is ten degrees different from the other at load. When the card's are idle they are only 4-5 degrees different. Is this normal? I have a Corsair 780 T with plenty of airflow, a H110 GTX set as push pull on the front of the chassis set as intake, two fans on the bottom set as intake, and two other 120mm fans set as exhaust on the top. My CPU is a 5820k, ASUS x99 pro MB, EVGA Supernova 1300 watt Power Supply, 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz Ram. Thank you

Solution
ya , standered thing I all ways see turn the power limit up to that 110% ?/ I do also your cards oc is not bad better then mine [1400 ] and ya I can go higher a bit but some things it will run it great no issues something's not so [unstable ] I guess that's why they give you like 5 profile settings to use ?? like a overclock in profile 1 good to do these things profile 2 for them things and so on ??

I just run mine at stock unless I want to show off of mark a high score/fps I don't run any oc full time just when I feel needed

I tried afterburner and precision x - after burner seems safer to use if it gets a bad clock it will default back to stock noticed precision don't [???] so looks like you...

Jayhawker32

Distinguished
The top card in this case should necessarily be hotter because it isn't drawing air from the card below, except for cooling the VRMs. However, 53 - 55 C at load is still more than cool enough especially on the 980 tis. Like he said you have nothing to worry about below 90 C, if it bothers you too much you could always pull the heatsink off of the card and replace the thermal paste but if that's a lot of work for 0 performance and it won't mitigate any risks unless your cards start getting really hot.

Jayhawker32

Distinguished

You replaced the heat sinks?

like all said the top card takes the heat also even though the cads 90% cooled by the radiator theres still that ''blower fan cooling the vrm's on the card that the bottom card kinda blocks air flow of that as well for the top card and as you know heat rises

now did you try to swap cards to see if you get the same temp readings ?? [put the card you got in top as the bottom card and the bottom card put it at top ]

my 980ti hybrid [non SLI ] runs 23-46c idle and full load so far

also do you have like hybrids ?? the old card and the new [one that comes factory with the new led shroud ] are not quite the same

give me a min to hunt down pic from a thread on that so you can see what I mean

MeloDRUMatic

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Both cards are the same 980 ti SC reference and both have the same hybrid kits with the copper like shroud. I will try to swap the cards and get back to you. Thank you. ;) It was weird I used to have both gpu radiators mounted on the top as exhaust and both cards were only 5 degrees different (59 C / 54 C). It was when I mounted one of them on the back, that is when they got 10 degrees different (55 C/ 45 C) in temps. They both dropped 5-10 degrees total after moving one of the rads

well like from here you see the old card has the squirrel cage fan and a plain vrm cooling plate

the latest one has a blade fan with a improved vrm cooling plate

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-evga-980-ti-hybrid-revision.1892483/

weather or not that make any big diff at all ... ????

but you got 2 of the old cards [nothing wrong with that ] so that's a non issue now I just think the top card absorbs some heat from the bottom card and you will get that temp diff between them you not so bad off now if the top card was getting well over 65c or something maybe some concern there but you do look in the norm for a sli set up ??

I should add with my card I did not mount the rad. but I did notice how moving it around looking for a good place to mount I did see a 7c difference in temps depending how I had it placed and how the hoses were positioned to the card
so I never mounted the radiator where and how I get it setting is 7c cooler then anywhere / way else I tried it

MeloDRUMatic

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

So did you just place your radiator somewhere in your case? I am confused how you set your card up without mounting the rad.

no just on the floor with the hose 's near level with the card as straight as possible the hose that returns the hot water from the pump to the rad top and return cooled water hose from rad to card at the bottom [kinda just like how the radiator is/ works in a car ]

I I had a way to take a pic I would post it so you can see [sorry] maybe I can use windows paint and give a illustration ??

put in private message

maybe you see from that deal ? thers a pic of the inside of the pump that shows wht hose is the intake and return

look and see from these pic's what way the outlets have the arrows on to show in and out from here

http://forums.evga.com/980-ti-hybrid-buzzing-noisy-pump-SOLVED-m2417352.aspx

you need to mount the radiators to the spot on your case where exhaust fans usually blow air out. If they are just sitting in the case then they are not effectively being cooled. Mount them properly and your temps should see some change but the top card will ALWAYS be warmer unless you run a full custom loop.

I also said and explained why above and I did not feel his top cards temps were out of line and seems reasonable in a SLI set up ?? I'm sure he gets that now ..
if his top card was getting 65+ c maybe would be some concern what air card in sli gets just 55c at running hard full load ?? I think he's in good shape

my single card gets 45c so 55c on that top card seems about right [opinion]

'' Hybrids specially the Top card Never even go over 55 degrees Celsius at all with an OC of max 1380 MHz 110% power limit''

''kurosuke7t9'' post

http://forums.evga.com/980ti-Hybrid-Temp-Question-m2376706.aspx

some may do a bit better some may not be as good as what your now getting I think your good at 55c full load

MeloDRUMatic

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

That reminds me.... When overclocking a hybrid do you have to turn up the power limit? I thought that just allows it to go over 85 C and obviously with the hybrid you will never get that hot. All the overclocks I have done I have not turned up the power limit and ran up to 1445mhz stable but maybe it hasn't been 100% stable if you do have to turn up the power limit.

ya , standered thing I all ways see turn the power limit up to that 110% ?/ I do also your cards oc is not bad better then mine [1400 ] and ya I can go higher a bit but some things it will run it great no issues something's not so [unstable ] I guess that's why they give you like 5 profile settings to use ?? like a overclock in profile 1 good to do these things profile 2 for them things and so on ??

I just run mine at stock unless I want to show off of mark a high score/fps I don't run any oc full time just when I feel needed

I tried afterburner and precision x - after burner seems safer to use if it gets a bad clock it will default back to stock noticed precision don't [???] so looks like you got to keep a closer eye on things with it .

with out pulling it up for a all around oc I get like 1395 core boost and 1863 mem?? so far so good on that [oh I also used the voltage offset +18% [1.2120v ] stock was 1.1930v core boot 1354 mem 1752.8 [gpu-z readings]

don't forget there reference pcb's and rated for 1228 boost so your doing pretty good if like mine boosts to 1354 stock out of the box [opinion]

Solution