my external hard disk can't detect and have a bad sector

ejambuu

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
i recently have manage to recovery my document form the external hard disk because my external hard disk shows that i need to format. i want to format after i have got the recovery file. but now when i try to format, this message shows up "An error occurred while wiping data on the destination drive. Bad sectors were found on the drive.".. can anyobdy help me! im out of bucks but for sure some software can help me get this through TQ

Solution
With the drive connected go to My Computer > right mouse click and select Manage > the click on Disk Management.

Does the external HDD display?
If yes, what is the status?

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Try to boot the system with a boot disk i.e. Ubuntu or Diskparted and try to read the contents of the drive.

ejambuu

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

ok but right now the external hard disk dosen't show up at my computer. any other way to format it?

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I was thinking that maybe you had data on there that was critical. Sometimes for whatever reason the OS will not detect the drive and sometimes a third party utility may read it/mount it.

Is this a USB3 or USB2 external drive?
Maybe a remove/add USB3 drivers may fix this issue.

ejambuu

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

im no sure if it is were critical or not because before this when i plug in my computer detect the external hard disk just fine. after i done recovery using lazasoft,and i get all the document that i need back. my thought is to format this external hard disk as clean as i can and put back the document as usual. when i want to format the external,it not show in my computer. yes it is USB2 because i bought this few years back. is there any possibility to do the format using any kind of software ? because last time i want to do format it show that "an error occurred while wiping data. Bad sectors were found on the drive". im stuck at there and then it happen to not shown up at my computer. i have try remove and plug it back but the same problem happen.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
With the drive connected go to My Computer > right mouse click and select Manage > the click on Disk Management.

Does the external HDD display?
If yes, what is the status?

Solution