My external Hard drive is split into two help!

reecehunt1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Hello, my external hard drive which was once an internal one which is now in a caddy is split in two; Windows and Data.

Can anyone tell me how to put it back into one because looking to save some games on it and it would just be easier.

Thank you.

Solution
Ok then you just need to go into disk manager (start, right click computer, manage, select disk managment).

Now make sure you are not on your OS drive but your external drive. Delete any partitions still on the drive. You can then create a new partition, format it, and then it will be good to go.
If your Data partition is empty, then you can just delete that partition and re-size the main partition to reclaim the open space. You could also just delete both partitions and then create a single partition with all of the space.

If you have info on it, you can just copy over the data from it to your internal drive, and do the above.

reecehunt1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

i dont have windows on it anymore i formatted it, also how can i delete the data partion?

Ok so you took out an internal drive that had windows and data partion on it, you then put it into an external enclosure.

Now you want to make it one partiotion, is this correct?

Do you need to keep data on one of the partitions or can you erase the drive completley?

reecehunt1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

i have formatted both parts of the drive. I now want to make it into one partition, does this mean i should delete the data partition: how do i do this? and then how to i make it to the full hard drive size again?

Ok then you just need to go into disk manager (start, right click computer, manage, select disk managment).

Now make sure you are not on your OS drive but your external drive. Delete any partitions still on the drive. You can then create a new partition, format it, and then it will be good to go.

Solution

reecehunt1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Thank you, i have done it now and have named it GAMES just to be cool.