[SOLVED] My External HardDisk wont open.

Oct 10, 2019
i have problems for my External HDD , its WD Hdd 1TB, suddenly when i plug in to my laptop , my laptop freeze , when i Unplug the HDD , my laptop resuming normal ... when the laptop read my external Hdd , it ask for formating the Hdd , unfortunately my important data still there.... any recommend ???

Solution
Don't bother looking for data recovery software. It's the wrong approach because your issue is in the hardware. Data recovery software is for logical issues, not hardware issues.

Being a WD drive, it's highly likely that you have what's commonly referred to as the WD slow responding bug. It's a firmware malfunction that's triggered when the drive develops a section of bad sectors larger than it can auto re-map to spare sectors. The drive gets stuck in a busy state and doesn't respond. This causes the computer to just hang until the drive is disconnected or eventually drops offline itself.

The good news is, it's usually an easy recovery for a data recovery company. We get several of these each week and +90% of them are recovered...
Oct 10, 2019
Try accessing it from another computer if possible. Then download your files from the backup drive if it works before proceeding with the format.

thanks for answering .
ive already try this , i try it on another laptop, the results remain same , the other laptop get freeze... bad sector maybe? if it is , is there anyway i can retrive my data ?

JaredDM

Honorable
Don't bother looking for data recovery software. It's the wrong approach because your issue is in the hardware. Data recovery software is for logical issues, not hardware issues.

Being a WD drive, it's highly likely that you have what's commonly referred to as the WD slow responding bug. It's a firmware malfunction that's triggered when the drive develops a section of bad sectors larger than it can auto re-map to spare sectors. The drive gets stuck in a busy state and doesn't respond. This causes the computer to just hang until the drive is disconnected or eventually drops offline itself.

The good news is, it's usually an easy recovery for a data recovery company. We get several of these each week and +90% of them are recovered for a flat $450. Just a matter of applying a common patch to the firmware of the drive to stabilize it enough to image around the bad sectors.

Just know that the more you mess around trying things like data recovery software, the greater the risk that one of the read/write heads will fail (because it's busy trying to re-read and re-map damaged sectors). If that happens, you'll be in for a much more expensive recovery.

Solution
Oct 17, 2019
If nothing helps, I would recommend a technician from Data Recovery Expert. He recovered my data for a very reasonable price. I had even worse problem, I dropped my external hard drive on the floor. And he also replaced my drive as it was under warranty.
datarecoveryexpert.ca