My external hdd (1TB) wont copy large files using my usb 3 port, works fine with usb 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidoi k

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
so i have a 1tb external hard drive and when i try to copy large files over usb 3 it goes to 100MB/s for like 3 seconds then it stops and says 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired. i have the asus ROG gl552vw with the latest drivers from the official asus site. it is formated in NTFS. when i use an usb 3 stick it doesnt give me this error and it copies just fine. im using windows 10.

Solution
Well in most cases you should be able to find them on the motherboard manufacturer's website. If you can't find them there, you might want to get in touch with the customer support and ask for some info on where to download them from if they are still available.
Hey there, Sidoi.

Does this happen with all the USB 3.0 ports on that computer? Have you tried the drive with a USB 3.0 port on a different computer with a different version of Windows, to see if the same thing happens?
I'd recommend that you check your Universal Serial Bus Controller's driver and try reinstalling or updating it to see if the drive works properly afterwards with the USB 3.0 ports. Other than that, you could try another drive with those, ports to make sure that it's not your HDD that is at fault here.
About the error you're getting, there seems to be a solution in one of the threads in Microsoft's forums, so you might want to try that as well: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-0x80070079-windows-7-x64-win7-when-trying-to/7e796cea-ca98-48ff-94cb-2070452b77a4

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Sidoi k

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Hey boogieman,

so to answer your questions, yes this happens with all my usb 3 ports (i have 2) i tried to copy large files from another asus laptop and there it works fine (he has ubuntu). so its not the drive but my laptop. i also reinstalled my usb 3 drivers and that didnt help (http://prntscr.com/9qdkuc). i tried copying large files to a usb 3 stick and that works fine as well. i tried the solution noted on the microsoft forum you linked and that also didnt help. i also posted my question here https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160114064403AAV42GC maybe the comments there help you find the problem ?

thanks for the response.

Well unfortunately it all points to some weird incompatibility issue with the OS and/or the drivers. Especially having in mind what is written in the thread from Microsoft's forum. I really can't think of a way to overcome this. You could try updating the OS if it has available updates, maybe this issue has been addressed with a fix. I've also noticed that you mentioned that you've reinstalled the USB drivers, can you try a newer version or an older one, to see if the issue still persists?

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Sidoi k

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

hi,

there are no new updates and i have the latest drivers for usb, how do i get an older driver version? i have the asus gl552vw-cn108t

Well in most cases you should be able to find them on the motherboard manufacturer's website. If you can't find them there, you might want to get in touch with the customer support and ask for some info on where to download them from if they are still available.

Solution

Rob_57

Reputable
Nov 14, 2016
My HP laptop with AMD A8-5545M CPU and one assumes AMD related chipset (certainly AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller) has the same problem. Plug the same drive into the USB 2 port on the laptop and it works fine. I've come to the conclusion that either it's an inherent fault that particular AMD USB 3 chipset or hopefully a driver problem. It's currently running v1.0 of the driver and this is on Windows 10. I've messed around with drivers before on Windows 8.1 and gave up accepting that this laptop USB 3 is just plain broken.

Sidoi k

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

Yeah i did pretty much the same thing, i tried reinstalling drivers and windows multiple times. it just wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS