My failed attempt at installing a graphics card.

G

Ok I bought a geforce 2 card to replace my voodoo 2 card and when I got to installing it and realized a few things. There were 2 slots for cab;es on my voodoo card ;one for the monitor and one for another cord which also plugs into the comp. On the Geforce there was one outlet and when I plugged the monitor into the monitor didn't work.

Also, the technical service I called said even if the cables weren't hooked right the comp should detect it which it wasn't. Is my pentium 2 350 mhz 64 MB ram comp compatible with it?

G

Your first problem could be that you're plugging your monitor into your monitor..

or maybe that was a typo..

Dani_mq

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
PRess the new vid card good, sometimes the card iss not pluged all the way and it wont post, check if the fan in the vid card is working if it isnt check if something is in the way.
hope its that simple

G

Yeah typo. The basic problem comes in is thsat the voodoo card has 2 outlets to plug things into to and the geforce has 1. The monitor always plugs into the video card right? Even if My wiring isn't right my comp isn't picking up the new video card. Why wouldn't it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Make sure it's pushed in all the way. Make sure you have enough power. Make sure you're not using too old a motherboard, especially a Socket 7 board or most AT motherboards.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Your monitor should be plugged directly into your new GeForce card. It handles 2D and 3D, unlike the old Voodoo cards which only did 3D and had to have a passthrough cord to run to the 2D card. Do you have an onboard video chip in addition to your old Voodoo board? If so, you may have to disable it in your BIOS.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>