Question My fan hub exploded. Is this likely to have damaged other components?

Dec 19, 2022
Because I was an idiot, I plugged a fan hub into my PSU SATA cable while it was on. It looks like there is a blown capacitor on the fan hub (idk much about this, that could be completely wrong). The pc will not turn on but the motherboard is still lit up. I am guessing I killed the PSU but was wondering if it would've broken other components. Also would damage caused by this be covered under warranty?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's provide three different voltages (3.3., 5, and 12) to host system components.

Difficult to know if the PSU itself could also be damaged. A PSU can be tested to some extent.

However, a multi-meter is necessary along with someone who knows how to use a multi-meter.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

It is possible that the motherboard could be "lit up" for some voltagles but not others.

Which specific LED's are lit, what color are those LEDs, and what LEDs are not lit at all.

(Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual as necessary.)

Will the system boot without the hub and/or fans installed?

Are you able to take a photograph of the blown capacitor and post the photograph here using imgur(www.imgur.com).

Dec 19, 2022
PSU's provide three different voltages (3.3., 5, and 12) to host system components.

Difficult to know if the PSU itself could also be damaged. A PSU can be tested to some extent.

However, a multi-meter is necessary along with someone who knows how to use a multi-meter.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

It is possible that the motherboard could be "lit up" for some voltagles but not others.

Which specific LED's are lit, what color are those LEDs, and what LEDs are not lit at all.

(Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual as necessary.)

Will the system boot without the hub and/or fans installed?

Are you able to take a photograph of the blown capacitor and post the photograph here using imgur(www.imgur.com).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RoU4cxirXvWSzwx47
The only things that light up on my motherboard are the RGB LEDs for decoration, and it cycles between colours and the post status checker is off

Even the PSU "might" not be damaged. It might have simply triggered it's protections. If you have not already, I would try switching off the power supply using it's switch located on the back of the PSU, then unplug it from the wall and leave it for a few minutes. Then plug it back in, flip the switch back on and try to power up the PC. If you get nothing after this, then yes, you've probably cooked the PSU.

If it was plugged into a power strip or surge protection unit, try plugging it directly into the wall. Events like this tend to cook those too. Just because there is a power light on a power strip, motherboard, or anything else, does not mean it is working properly.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, if Any of the protective circuits are tripped, the psu becomes effectively dead until reset by power cancel, as in unplugging and waiting or manual off switch and waiting. Turning off the OS, doesn't turn off the psu, just puts it into power-on-Standby mode. As long as power exists inside the psu, it will Not reset, a safety feature designed to prevent the psu from becoming an arc-welder.

The white goo is purposely there. It's a non conductive goo dumped almost haphazardly around inductors to help insulate, absorb and prevent low frequency harmonics of coil whine. Coil whine is Always present, it's unavoidable, but also so high pitched it's beyond human ability to hear. The harmonics are a different story and can be easily phased so low, they become audible, and annoying. So the goo is a rubbery insulator meant to help prevent that.

Lian-Li is under no obligation to honor any warranty, written or implied, due to damages caused by user stated, implied or obvious abuse. Accidental damages will be on a case by case basis. Lian-Li is only pertinent to manufacturer defects or damages caused by defects. Having said all that, it covers any of Lian-Li's obligations, it does not cover any in-house customer service policies, and many companies rely on customer service reputation, so may bend over backwards just to make you happy.

Dec 19, 2022
Afaik, if Any of the protective circuits are tripped, the psu becomes effectively dead until reset by power cancel, as in unplugging and waiting or manual off switch and waiting. Turning off the OS, doesn't turn off the psu, just puts it into power-on-Standby mode. As long as power exists inside the psu, it will Not reset, a safety feature designed to prevent the psu from becoming an arc-welder.

The white goo is purposely there. It's a non conductive goo dumped almost haphazardly around inductors to help insulate, absorb and prevent low frequency harmonics of coil whine. Coil whine is Always present, it's unavoidable, but also so high pitched it's beyond human ability to hear. The harmonics are a different story and can be easily phased so low, they become audible, and annoying. So the goo is a rubbery insulator meant to help prevent that.

Lian-Li is under no obligation to honor any warranty, written or implied, due to damages caused by user stated, implied or obvious abuse. Accidental damages will be on a case by case basis. Lian-Li is only pertinent to manufacturer defects or damages caused by defects. Having said all that, it covers any of Lian-Li's obligations, it does not cover any in-house customer service policies, and many companies rely on customer service reputation, so may bend over backwards just to make you happy.
I turned off and unplugged the PSU and then tried again. It still didn't work so I think it is dead