My file all convert to VCL player

May 26, 2018
I wanted to open a games downloaded through internet, but the game was not getting opened so i opened it with vlc media player, but all my other programs including microsoft office and windows getting started also got changed to vlc media player, now how to change all the programs to their original programs, please help.

Solution
'Start / Control Panel / Default Programs'

'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'

Now you need to see which associations you want to change to another program. Unless someone has a reliable program or method for batch association changes, you'll have to change them one by one. To help you out a little, here are some of my associations (key file types in bold):

MS Word - .doc .dochtml .docm .docx .dot .dothtml .dotm .dotx .odt .rtf .wbk .wiz

MS Excel - .csv .dqy .iqy .odc .ods .slk .xla .xlam .xlk .xll .xls .xlsb .xlshtml .xlsx .xlt .xlthtml .xltm .xltx .xlw

MS Outlook (the program that comes with MS Office retail) - .hol .ibc .ics .msg .oft .vcf .vcs

MS Powerpoint...
'Start / Control Panel / Default Programs'

'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'

Now you need to see which associations you want to change to another program. Unless someone has a reliable program or method for batch association changes, you'll have to change them one by one. To help you out a little, here are some of my associations (key file types in bold):

MS Word - .doc .dochtml .docm .docx .dot .dothtml .dotm .dotx .odt .rtf .wbk .wiz

MS Excel - .csv .dqy .iqy .odc .ods .slk .xla .xlam .xlk .xll .xls .xlsb .xlshtml .xlsx .xlt .xlthtml .xltm .xltx .xlw

MS Outlook (the program that comes with MS Office retail) - .hol .ibc .ics .msg .oft .vcf .vcs

MS Powerpoint - .odp .pot .pothtml .potm .potx .ppa .ppam .pps .ppsm .ppsx .ppt .ppthtml .pptm .pptx .pptxml .pwz .sldm .sldx .thmx

Suggest you google around for what the different file extensions' associations ought to be. It's a bit of a drawn out process, but it's kinda crucial that it's right. Also suggest that you make a point of going through all your programs to test them, and/or check all the file extensions assigned to VLC to ensure they are media file extensions.

Solution