[SOLVED] My First AMD Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fccatuncan

Commendable
Aug 23, 2018
After a looooooong year, finally saved enough to build my first rig. Here's the list;

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100 (stock cooler)
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar Max
PSU: Corsair CX550M
RAM: 16GB (dual) G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200
HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda, 3.5, 7200rpm
SSD: 512GB ADATA SX6000 M.2 NVMe
CASE: ATX case, 6 x 120mm fans
GPU: MSI 1650S Super Gaming X
OTHERS:
  • 800VA UPS
  • ASUS PCI AX3000 WLAN card
  • Asus 8x (ext. DVD-RW)

Now, since most of my games are total war (Rome I, II, Empires, Shogun 2), RDR2, Dead Island, and Far Cry series, would a 1650S suffice for 1080p gaming? Also saw a lot of forums recommending the 3300X over the 3100 but is the performance really that significant?

If it matters, my old computer (pre-assembled) had the ff. specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4590
MOBO: ASRock H81M-VG4
PSU: Generic 500W
RAM: 8GB Kingston 1600
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: None
GPU: 1050 Ti

Building a new one 'coz the GPU (for some reason) killed my old processor. Confirmed it when I tested it on my friend's motherboard.

Not planning to overclock though (not with the stock cooler) and no video editing, no streaming. Just plain gaming. Sticking to my old Samsung S19D300NY monitor (60hz) for now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Solution
Now, since most of my games are total war (Rome I, II, Empires, Shogun 2), RDR2, Dead Island, and Far Cry series, would a 1650S suffice for 1080p gaming? Also saw a lot of forums recommending the 3300X over the 3100 but is the performance really that significant?

Seeing as one of your game favorites is the Total War series I have to think that as much CPU as you can get will only be better as that game can put a beat-down on it.

Also of concern is the PSU; not necessarily for the current config but for future upgrades. The B450 Mortar Max is a great platform to upgrade on but 550 watts just won't do it when you go looking at power-hog GPU's of the current generation. It can be something to worry about then, just be...

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
if i were you @op id drop the 500gb m.2 and the 1tb hdd and just get a single 2.5"ssd of 1tb. the extra money can go towards a nicer gpu or a bigger psu with upgrades in mind.

does anyone here know if the a320 only prevents ocing cpus or does it also prevent you from xmping your ram?

Reactions: fccatuncan
does anyone here know if the a320 only prevents ocing cpus or does it also prevent you from xmping your ram?
A320 does not allow OC'g CPU's but it does allow not only XMP'g of RAM but even adjusting clocks and DIMM voltage discretely. I'm not sure if it exposes all the timing values to OC RAM to extremes but you could try it with Ryzenmaster anyway.

if i were you @op id drop the 500gb m.2 and the 1tb hdd and just get a single 2.5"ssd of 1tb. the extra money can go towards a nicer gpu or a bigger psu with upgrades in mind.

A320 has XMP,thats how they often reach the speeds of 3200mhz ram.Mine atleast does

Reactions: Desch_

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the price difference, you'll get more out of a 3300x and low-end B450/B550 than you'll get out of a 1600AF on an A320. Online multi-player games rely heavily on the cpu, and while the AF has the core/thread advantage, the processing speeds of the 3300x with a mild OC when dealing with other player AI will make a difference.

As suggested above, a Sata ssd for game loads makes a sizable difference over hdd. You could use a relatively cheap 240Gb for OS and essentials, and put storage on a 1Tb including the game files. This makes expansion/migration very easy if you need more room later, without dealing with any headaches of resetting entire drives.

Reactions: fccatuncan