[SOLVED] My first Build 2.5k (Need feedback)

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
Hi so as you read on the title im building my very first gaming pc after years of playing games on low settings to max 60 fps..
Now although i'v got no extra money to spend i decided to not hold back and build the best pc i can afford..
So i built a 1080p 240fps system and i would like to hear your thoughts about it.
Also if you have any recommendations or changes i would love to hear it.
1 note that you may need to know about me, im not going to be a full time streamer or play 8 hours a day, i just want to enjoy the best i can, when i play.
I might do some youtube vidoes as well when i think about it.
I really appreciate your feedbacks :)
playing(for now): modern warfar, fornite, apex, overwatch, etc

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XVzHWb
another note: im not going to OC, at least not rn,
but maybe in the future when ill really need it. (dont think i will)
and yeah i would also get a 240hz screen with this kind of system

p.s, i did not buy the parts yet, i want to be 100% sure about this build before i make the purchase.

Last edited:
Solution
(I'm assuming OC = OS)
Many games load cell data, environmentals, etc. DURING gameplay. Depending on the game, the drive may get very busy while gaming. It may not make much of a difference going to a SATA SSD though - your call.

The H100i will work well. If you have the space, bigger is always better with the i9-9900k. When all 8 hyper-threaded cores get taxed the TDP skyrockets.

Surprisingly, my H80i V2 is working out great. I can hear it a little when the fans ramp up but it keeps my CPU below 80ºC in everything but stress testing. I've got excellent case airflow and have it exhausting out the back right where the CPU is.
I've had my i9-9900k locked at 5Ghz before but I really have to bump up the voltage to uncomfortable levels to...
What monitor will you be using with this rig?
If your 1080p monitor has a 60hz refresh rate it would be an absolute waste to go with such a powerful video card. With this rig I would go with a 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-sync, minimum.

Do you plan to overclock?
The i9-9900k is an absolute beast. The H100i can keep it cool at stock but I would get something better if I planned to lock the chip at 4.7Ghz or higher.

Why the extra 480GB Kingston?

Edit - I'm currently running on an i9-9900k but the AMD side of the fence may offer you better bang for your buck if you have $2500 to spend. I go back and forth between the red and blue camps every few years. AMD's third gen Ryzen CPUs are no joke. They are just as good or better than Intel's offerings and are usually cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarrettL

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
What monitor will you be using with this rig?
If your 1080p monitor has a 60hz refresh rate it would be an absolute waste to go with such a powerful video card. With this rig I would go with a 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-sync, minimum.

Do you plan to overclock?
The i9-9900k is an absolute beast. The H100i can keep it cool at stock but I would get something better if I planned to lock the chip at 4.7Ghz or higher.

Why the extra 480GB Kingston?

Edit - I'm currently running on an i9-9900k but the AMD side of the fence may offer you better bang for your buck if you have $2500 to spend. I go back and forth between the red and blue camps every few years. AMD's third gen Ryzen CPUs are no joke. They are just as good or better than Intel's offerings and are usually cheaper.

im not going to OC for now. i dont think it will really be any better for my type of use, (atleast for now)
and yeah ill get a 240 hz screen like Asus PG258Q (Aesthetics is also a high factor for me)
the extra kingston 480 gig is for stuff like phone backups, photos, videos (basicly anthing that is not games)
because i want to use my 2T 860 evo only for games

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
I would get a 1TB NVMe and then just 1 more big SATA SSD or even a 4TB+ performance spindle.
Put both the OS and games on the NVMe and other data/backups on the larger SATA SSD. Game performance will benefit from being on a super fast NVMe drive.
But the thing is, if ill get only 1t which inclouds the OS and startup programs it will load up pretty fast which will cause a slower performence/ bootup
Also the nvme tends to be pretty expensive.
My idea was getting an ssd for OS + start up programs.
And, a 2T ssd for games only (the new MW is like 120 gigs) + based on the reaserch i did this will not make any difference in gaming when we are comparing the samsung 860 evo ssd to an nvme drive, maybe in loading time one more second or two.
The other drive (kingston) is one of the cheapest ssd you can find and pretty decent performence.
This cheap ssd will be used only for storing photos, videos, backups etc.
If ill get a 1tb nvme like u said and another 1tb ssd, this will cause me to use the good ssd (which ill eventually use for games as well) also for scratch and non games files.
Im pretty happy with the storage method that i went with tbh, this will be used exactly for my needs

Btw what cpu cooling are u recommend for 9900k?

Last edited:
(I'm assuming OC = OS)
Many games load cell data, environmentals, etc. DURING gameplay. Depending on the game, the drive may get very busy while gaming. It may not make much of a difference going to a SATA SSD though - your call.

The H100i will work well. If you have the space, bigger is always better with the i9-9900k. When all 8 hyper-threaded cores get taxed the TDP skyrockets.

Surprisingly, my H80i V2 is working out great. I can hear it a little when the fans ramp up but it keeps my CPU below 80ºC in everything but stress testing. I've got excellent case airflow and have it exhausting out the back right where the CPU is.
I've had my i9-9900k locked at 5Ghz before but I really have to bump up the voltage to uncomfortable levels to be stable and it gives me very little real-world gain. I settled on a locked 4.8Ghz (4.6Ghz cache) with 1.21v (1.25v LLC load).

Last edited:
Solution

SteelScorpionX

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
(I'm assuming OC = OS)

I've had my i9-9900k locked at 5Ghz before but I really have to bump up the voltage to uncomfortable levels to be stable and it gives me very little real-world gain. I settled on a locked 4.8Ghz (4.6Ghz cache) with 1.21v (1.25v LLC load).
one question that i have, im going to get the corsair obsidian se rgb case wich comes with 3 LL fans 120 mm..
now the h100i comes with 120 mm fans as well but i saw many ppl getting the 115i wich comes with 140 mm fans, that got my confused.
does the whole fans size in the case has to be the same? (the 3 in the front, 1 in the rear and 2 on top)
ill gladly take the 115i, 140 mm fans if needed but some one told me i should have all the fans the same size. wich got me thinking if that is true why some people posting their builds on youtube getting 115i 140 mm when they have 3 fans 120 mm in the front. and one 120 in the rear.
i want the best airflow i can get so wich fan size should i get for the AIO cpu cooler and for the rear execute when i have 3LL 120 mm fans on the front that comes with the case

You need to make sure that whatever fans you get (120 or 140mm) fit where you want to put them, including on the radiator. Other than that I wouldn't worry much about using a 140mm in one spot and a 120mm in another. Just make sure you have good air intake and exhaust.