My First Build, I need Graphics Card Help

fates theater

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I am in the process of doing my first build. So far I already have my case (Cool Master HAF XM) and Power Supply (Corsair TX650W) and I will likely continue using my current drive for the system drive. For a CPU I am leaning towards the i5-4690k with an Asus Z-97-AR ATX Motherboard, they are currently a pacackge deal in store at Micro Center for $300 plus tax. Now when it comes to graphic cards I am at a complete loss as to what I need or want to buy. I do not do any gaming so I am sure I do not need anything major, but at the same time I want one that will have zero compatibility issues with Internet sites. My current card (Ge Force 9800 T) likes to freeze up, especially when the site is one that auto updates. I am also clueless on the different memory sticks, I just know I want to go with two 8GB sticks to start and eventually add two more down the road. If you have any suggestions for my missing parts or the ones I already have planned please share them.

Solution
then you are very well to go on
i3-44** / i5-4690
H81 / B85 / H97
4gb (2x2gb) / 8gb (2x4gb)
crucial mx 100 / samsung evo 120gb/250gb SSD

and even a G2358, h81 and 4gb can handle that pretty well.
you really cant see G2358 rig and i5 rig differences when it comes surfing internet and burning files (there is, but its no big deal). but as you wish that it can handle any task you might get the i5 rig.

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

If you do no gaming, you dont need a graphics card at all. The CPU has integrated graphics built in which is more than enough for web surfing / watching videos / etc.

what is the purpose of this rig?.
i5k's IGP 4600 can handle any software except for heavy 3d rendering / graphic processing. and you can play a lot non demanding games at low reso.
for ram you might get 8gb 2x 4gb for all purpose of usage or 16gb 2x 8gb for heavy 3d/video rendering or doing some intensive software.

fates theater

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

This is exactly why I posted here! Even seeing that the MB had an HDMI port it never crossed my mind that I could get by without a video card. As far as the memory goes, I have several TB's of live shows that I will be encoding once I get a stable computer built.

It is good to know that I can always add a video card down the road if I need one.

The computer will be mostly for Internet and I have a large collection of live loss less shows that I will be converting to CD and DVD/BR. I want to be sure that the system will be able to handle anything I try to do now and in the future as things advance. I was going to go with the i5-4690 originally, for $200 it is hard to pass on the i5-4690k.

then you are very well to go on
i3-44** / i5-4690
H81 / B85 / H97
4gb (2x2gb) / 8gb (2x4gb)
crucial mx 100 / samsung evo 120gb/250gb SSD

and even a G2358, h81 and 4gb can handle that pretty well.
you really cant see G2358 rig and i5 rig differences when it comes surfing internet and burning files (there is, but its no big deal). but as you wish that it can handle any task you might get the i5 rig.

Solution