[SOLVED] My first build won't POST... help please?

gwc.websites

Reputable
Oct 9, 2017
As per title... im in no post purgatory on my first build. I'm looking for advice about what to do next as i feel im at a bit of a dead end/impass. After recieving the last parts I had ordered yesterday i put together the following on my "test bench" (a meticulously cleaned coffee table with the MOBO box on top):

MOBO : MSI B450m Mortar Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Graphics: MSI GTX GeForce 1060 Super
RAM: 2 x 8gb Corsair DDR4 3600Mhz (CMK16GX4M2D3600C18)

I had run my build through PC part picker and sought opinions on part selection prior to purchase so I wasn't actually expecting any problem with the bench test... however, Failure to post with nothing displayed on screen (bar the TV i'm testing on's blue idle screen). The Ez debug LED array on the MOBO is showing one LED lit up, the one for the CPU.

After trying several things, this is still the situation.

----------WHAT I'VE TRIED----------

BIOS Flashing:

M-FLashing with the most recent BIOS (7B89v2Cq1, Beta version, 20.12.3).

M-flashing with two older BIOS updates (7B89v2B (20.11.30) & 7B89v28 (20.06.16).

Given i have a Ryzen 3rd gen chip, im sure a question will be "do those bioses include support for ryzen 3rd Gen?". As far as I can ascertain, the MAX suffix on my mobo indicates that it's a re-release and is ryzen 3rd gen compatible. No bios on MSI's site states that it introduces ryzen 3rd gen compatibility, and the oldest bios is late 2019.

Hardware Configuration:

Sadly I don't have spare DDR4 ram kicking about, nor AM4 CPUs, nor suitable MOBOs... However I have triple checked the RAM placement and CPU installation (do am4 slots even close with the cpu in the wrong position?). I have also tried to post with only a single stick of RAM, and moved that single stick to each of the four slots. I have also turned on power with only the CPU installed, just to see if that would change the behaviour of the Ez debug LED array (it didn't). I've also inspected the CPU for bent pins several times. as far as I can tell there are none.

Idiot Proofing Measures:
I've taken the TV being used to my old PC, and plugged it in with the same HDMI cable, and confirmed that it works. lol...

Also... i've just tried giving it crazy long to post. Like a few hours.

----------WHAT I"M THINKING----------

I have of course also been googling the problem. Right now my presumptive diagnosis is that, despite PC part picker OKing the combo, my RAM might not be working with my MOBO. Why this is causing the CPU EZ debug LED to light up i'm not sure - though i think RAM compatibility on my MOBO depends on what CPU you have installed; so perhaps the board is attributing the error to the CPU for that reason.

Further research has shown that the exact ram I have is not listed as supported in combo with my CPU on MSI's website. Made me feel stupid but... i honestly didnt know QVL was a thing when I researched my build... However; multiple threads seem to be full of people for whom it does work and the consensus seems to be it sort of "off label" works fine with the ryzen 5 3600. Apparently the ram "should" run at the base speed until bios settings are tweaked or something? Notably many other Corsair 3600Mhz 2x8gb kits are listed as working on the QVL.

However on the other hand maybe there is some CPU related issue... since thats the ez debug LED thats lighting up?

I do have a little money left over after build and xmas shopping that I could put to ordering (modest) different parts while trying to return items to my supplier. I'd like to get my build finished up before the end of the month as I wonder if Brexit will affect parts availability / price here in the UK.

So, unless someone has a suggestion for how to make the hardware I have play nice, I think i'm left either replacing the RAM with ram MSI lists as comptable, or replacing the MOBO with one that is comptable both with my CPU and the RAM I have. Either way I coule probably squeeze 80quid even before getting a refund from the vendor as I've just been paid. Obviously if that works i could then pursue returns.

If anyone could help id be ever so grateful. Its small beer in 2020 but Ive had a crap year and was so looking forward to a new PC that id built =(

Reactions: bras0778
What is your PSU brand and model?

I'm sure you meant a GTX 1660 Super and not 1060 Super.

That RAM should work. Even if they are not in any QVL list.

Did you try a clear CMOS?
  • Shutdown system
  • Turn off the PSU and unplug from wall
  • Press the power button and keep it pressed for 15 seconds
  • Remove the battery and come back in 10 minutes
  • Put back the battery, plug the PSU and flip it's switch
  • Turn the system on

gwc.websites

Reputable
Oct 9, 2017
What is your PSU brand and model?

I'm sure you meant a GTX 1660 Super and not 1060 Super.

That RAM should work. Even if they are not in any QVL list.

Did you try a clear CMOS?
  • Shutdown system
  • Turn off the PSU and unplug from wall
  • Press the power button and keep it pressed for 15 seconds
  • Remove the battery and come back in 10 minutes
  • Put back the battery, plug the PSU and flip it's switch
  • Turn the system on
gosh yes i do mean 1660 xD

my PSU is a corsair... forget the model but its a semi modular gold rated 650w one. that should be plenty of reliable wattage, right? (i did pick it to provide room to grow).

i did clear cmos between bios updates but willing to do it again... im on the bench so no power button. should i short the power button pins for that period of time?

gwc.websites

Reputable
Oct 9, 2017
gosh yes i do mean 1660 xD

my PSU is a corsair... forget the model but its a semi modular gold rated 650w one. that should be plenty of reliable wattage, right? (i did pick it to provide room to grow).

i did clear cmos between bios updates but willing to do it again... im on the bench so no power button. should i short the power button pins for that period of time?
back home now. psu is a corsair TX650M. just set up components (only one ram stick though) after clearing cmos by removing battery and shorting power on pins without psu plugged in for a few mins. No change.

bras0778

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hmm. I've also just bought a B450M Mortar Max in the UK so this is not happy reading. Would you mind sharing who you bought it from, please? Mine was from Amazon UK. I'm waiting for the rest of my parts.

bras0778

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
the very same. what ram have you picked up?

this is interesting reading: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vengeance-lpx-and-ryzen.254310/

My build is described here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Lin_Manfu/saved/2MT2mG

Thank you for the link. It does not make happy reading as I've got Vengeance RAM too. But mine is on the QVL and is Ryzen-optimized (Z code), so hopefully I won't have the same issues.

By the way, shall we continue this conversation on Reddit as we are also talking on your thread there? 😕

gwc.websites

Reputable
Oct 9, 2017
Sure, also you've got a differnt processor. Who knows, tech is basically magic so that might make the difference ;).

I replaced the ram with a 16gb HyperX Dimm that is on the QVL and had no luck. I'm currently awaiting a replacement MOBO (same model).... so fingers crossed.