[SOLVED] My First Build

Aug 15, 2020
Hello Guys!
This is my first build and my first post here, if I do something wrong, let me know. Most importantly, the question is: Are these components compatible with each other? Secondly: Is this build worth it? I'm not going to do hard gaming on this pc, I need it do to work (casual programming) and mid-gaming (Overwatch, Valorant, PUBG).
Thank you for your advice and help!
The build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjKtMc
(Ryzen 5 3600
Gtx 1650 Super
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
2x8gb DDR4 RAM 3200hz
650W semi-modular Seasonic GM PSU
Be quiet! Pure Base 500 Grey Windowed)

Solution
Hi,

SSD: No, but better than HDD spinning disk. This one will be fast and durable especially for your OS.

Motherboard: Paying an extra $10 more on Tomahawk is going to be a sweet spot. Go for it.

RAM: I am not sure about your location, as we received in the US version. However, a difference will be there from 3200mhz, but it is fine to use if you can't afford it. I also found a cheaper option, you may have a look:
PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $56.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-16 10:07 EDT-0400

With higher frequency memory, make sure you enable XMP...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Are these components compatible with each other?
Yes!

Is this build worth it?
It's good for your needs, If I was to tweak it though I'd swap out that SSD because value for money there are much better, and your PSU as that is much more than you need (although good choice on quality!):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF Gaming OC Video Card ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $824.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 15:02 EDT-0400

Doesn't include the HDD as the SSD space has increased.
This is probably slightly cheaper than yours if you assumed the PSU price of the Seasonic was included in the original list.

ben001

Distinguished
Hello Guys!
This is my first build and my first post here, if I do something wrong, let me know. Most importantly, the question is: Are these components compatible with each other? Secondly: Is this build worth it? I'm not going to do hard gaming on this pc, I need it do to work (casual programming) and mid-gaming (Overwatch, Valorant, PUBG).
Thank you for your advice and help!
The build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjKtMc
(Ryzen 5 3600
Gtx 1650 Super
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
2x8gb DDR4 RAM 3200hz
650W semi-modular Seasonic GM PSU
Be quiet! Pure Base 500 Grey Windowed)
Hello there!

Firstly welcome to tom's forum. Okay, at first glance I really like your thoughts here.

Compatibility issue: NO.

I would like to suggest some ideas to make it a little worthy of the price. I also found you have a suggested build above which is quite nice as well. My view says I can do something like this:

1. Added HDD for more storage options for your programming.
  2. The motherboard is pretty good for that price range including the case from Phanteks, excellent cable management space. Adjusted the price there.

1. PSU: That extra wattage can be useful for future upgrades.
  2. I would pick a little faster memory to go well with your Ryzen.
  3. A solid move, GTX 1660 6GB will ensure smoother gaming at 1080p even 1440p as well. Adjusted with SSD size. [OPTIONAL]

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($39.39 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($214.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $823.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 17:06 EDT-0400

You have options now. Hope your first build will be a good one. :)

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 15, 2020
Thank you guys for the quick answer, it means a lot to me!

HDD. The 2TB HDD is nice I love it.

PSU. The PSU is 650W because I know I'm gonna upgrade the video card in 3-5 years (maybe even before) and I don't want the PSU to be not enough. 550W and 650W seasonic costs the same in my country. And I've been told that a larger PSU than needed doesn't hurt my parts and doesn't make a more expensive electric bill.

SSD. The only thing I want to store on the SSD is the operating system (Windows 10 64bit) and maybe Chrome. So I don't really need more than 250gb but a M.2 is better than SATAIII for sure, the quiestion is, do your suggested SSDs have DRAM? I heard that DRAM-less SSDs are almost the same as HDDs.

Motherboard. I'm in love with that Tomahawk Max's design. If you're not saying that the Tomahawk Max is really really bad value, I'll go for it (and I can get it for the same price as the Gigabyte one. [Well ~10$ more]). But it can be switched out if really needed.

RAM. Is 3600Hz RAM makes that much difference? Because it almost costs twice as much as the 3200Hz here :/ And I have a limited budget (being a student).

Video Card. I've watched a lot of benchmarks and reviews and most of the people aggre on that the 1650super is almost the same as the 1660. Yes, the 1660 is better but I'm fine with a bit worse performance, I won't be gaming that much anyways (right now I have a laptop that doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the games I want to play, I won't be complaining :D).

Case. That be quiet! case is one I heard a lot of good reviews of, and I like its design. They sey its airflow is not the best, but it has a removable top cover and with that removed, the temperatures inside are way below the limit so its fine.

CPU. That's the only part I'm 100% sure which one I want. I'd rather work for another 6 months as a student than to buy some diferent CPU :)

If anything I said above is false, let me know. :D
Again, thank you for your almost immediate answer, I'm so happy I found this forum, I love it! <3 :D

Last edited:

ben001

Distinguished
Hi,

SSD: No, but better than HDD spinning disk. This one will be fast and durable especially for your OS.

Motherboard: Paying an extra $10 more on Tomahawk is going to be a sweet spot. Go for it.

RAM: I am not sure about your location, as we received in the US version. However, a difference will be there from 3200mhz, but it is fine to use if you can't afford it. I also found a cheaper option, you may have a look:
PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $56.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-16 10:07 EDT-0400

With higher frequency memory, make sure you enable XMP inside your BIOS.

GPU: Value-wise 1650S is a worth, but looking towards the future that 4GB can be a limitation at full HD gameplay. Gaming-wise, 1660 makes more sense and not upgrading your GPU for a minimum of 2 years of time.

Tips* If I were you, knowing your situation I would rather wait for 6 more months to add-up more money. The market situation will change at that time. You might have a better view towards gaming.

Decide wisely :)

Solution
Aug 15, 2020
If I were you, knowing your situation I would rather wait for 6 more months to add-up more money. The market situation will change at that time. You might have a better view towards gaming.
I see... but I'm buying these parts from a retailer. I don't know if that makes the situation any different, but man I've been waiting for having a pc for a very long time :D I don't really want to wait another 6 months to be honest.
Btw what does "The market situation will change at that time" mean? Newer products will be revealed so the prices will go down? I'm not interested in marketing, I don't know how these things work. I want to make a wise decision though, that's why I'm asking. :)

Edit: I checked and 1660 has GDDR5 ram while the 1650s card has GDDR6. For 1080p gaming (which I'll be doing) no more than 4gb is needed and the gddr6 performs better than the gddr5 if I'm informed well. 🤷‍♂️
Edit2: I checked again and I can't afford 1660 for sure :( Gotta wait and raise more money :)

Last edited:
I see... but I'm buying these parts from a retailer. I don't know if that makes the situation any different, but man I've been waiting for having a pc for a very long time :D I don't really want to wait another 6 months to be honest.
Btw what does "The market situation will change at that time" mean? Newer products will be revealed so the prices will go down? I'm not interested in marketing, I don't know how these things work. I want to make a wise decision though, that's why I'm asking. :)

Edit: I checked and 1660 has GDDR5 ram while the 1650s card has GDDR6. For 1080p gaming (which I'll be doing) no more than 4gb is needed and the gddr6 performs better than the gddr5 if I'm informed well. 🤷‍♂️
Edit2: I checked again and I can't afford 1660 for sure :( Gotta wait and raise more money :)

Any of the new nvidias that arent a super aren't really worth buying so if the 1660 is substantially more than the 1650 super you're doing the right thing already imo.

If youre really sure about only installing pretty much windows and chrome on the ssd (and probably a few other small programs/apps ) I'd personally go with a 256gb nvme drive which will be cheaper.

Apart from that nice build, no issues at all.

Aug 15, 2020
Any of the new nvidias that arent a super aren't really worth buying so if the 1660 is substantially more than the 1650 super you're doing the right thing already imo.

If youre really sure about only installing pretty much windows and chrome on the ssd (and probably a few other small programs/apps ) I'd personally go with a 256gb nvme drive which will be cheaper.

Apart from that nice build, no issues at all.
1660 is ~50-60$ more here in Hungary, that's why I want to avoid buying that card if possible :D In your opinion, is building a pc right now a good idea? Well, not right now, September/October if something goes wrong November. (2020)
(It mostly depends on when I'm going to pass my English Language Certification :))

Last edited:
1660 is ~50-60$ more here in Hungary, that's why I want to avoid buying that card if possible :D In your opinion, is building a pc right now a good idea? Well, not right now, September/October if something goes wrong November. (2020)
(It mostly depends on when I'm going to pass my English Language Certification :))

A good time to build a new pc is when you need to.

Timewise there's not 'that much' happening regarding cpu's, board, prices etc.

The ryzen 3600 is going to be a good choice now and any time in the foreseeable future.

The one thing that may have changed by then are going to be gpu models and pricing.

See what the situation is then when you are actually ready to buy and build.