My first build!

marginalclue

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
heeheehee
Just had to tell someone.... my mobo and RAM arrived today. Tomorrow, more components.

Antec Sonata II case (I'll be ripping out the duct) w/exhaust fan
included SmartPower 450W 2.0 PSU
Thermaltake 120mm Smart Fan (intake fan mounted behind HDDs)
Asus A8N-SLI mobo (probably should have gotten the Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra, firewire and SATA 3.0 without SLI) -- BTW, they fixed the nForce4 chipset fan, this one's like the SE version
Athlon 64 3200+ E4 stepping
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160 GB, 8M cache, SATA 3.0 w/NCQ
2x1GB Gigaram (2-3-2-5)
Lite-On double layer DVD +/-R +/-RW
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Sony FDD (ha!)
PowerColor Radeon x300SE video card w/fan (I determined that a decent card costs at least $125, this one is $55, and all I really want is dual monitors)

Everything should be here by around 5 PST on Friday, which means I start building at 5:01 PST. I just need to pick up an anti-static wristband before then. I figure I'll put the DVD-ROM in the top bay, the DVD-RW in the 2nd bay, the FDD in its top bay and the HDD in the 2nd HDD rack. 2x2 USB port brackets in back (one has the joystick port), skip the COM1bracket and firewire bracket (already one rear firewire), plus 2 USB, 1 firewire and 2 audio ports in front.

Can anyone tell me with certainty:
From my research, it seems that the auto-detect settings to turn the PSU exhaust fan on/off and up don't work. Yes or no?
If I turn on AMD Cool n Quiet, apparently the BIOS temperature detection doesn't work. yes/no?
The BIOS default CPU voltage is 1.5v, and 1.35-1.4 is sufficient for the 3200+. Change it?
The mfg spec latency for the RAM is 2-3-2-5, which may or may not be auto-detected correctly. If I change it, do I insert those values going from top-to-bottom on the BIOS RAM page?
Should I install both IDE DVD devices on one IDE cable, in case I want to install another IDE drive (or two) down the road?

I feel like a little kid on Christmas -- this should be fun. :)

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
question 1) It will work, it worked for me with a cheap MSI K8N mobo
2) You don't need C n' Q, it doesn't do anything
3) Don't change it, my 3200+ runs at 1.36 and it's rock stable
under full load (F@H 100% + CSS at max). Less voltage
means less heat and is better for the CPU
4) Most likely. But just in case, it goes CAS-tRCD-tRP-RAS
5) Use one cable and connect to primary IDE. This way you have
more airflow. If your premium mobo don't come with round
cable, go buy some.