Discussion my first ever intel build

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

thought i would start the build early if anyone is interested at looking at other peoples pc's., i have got 2 out of 3 items already and i will order the 3rd one on monday.

my pc is quite old ( 4th gen) so i figured, bout time i upgrade it.

i will be keeping my pc case, psu and gpu but replacing the mobo, cpu and rams.

i will update as i go along, here are the things ive got so far:

not sure how to post pictures on here properly though.

once my rams gets delivered then i will sort of do a step by step pictures.

Last edited:

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Whet were your old case and PSU?
my current set up:

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular
Case: Phanteks ethoo pro m tempered glass
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
The CX600 is an old so-so PSU model, you may want to look into upgrading that to the much better CX550/650 based on a newer design and better quality components.
Did you get a good deal on the 11500?

Typically its a worse buy than an 11400/11400f
hi guys,

i did think about another psu but i am leaning more to wards not using the gtx 480 so i think i only need about 300w psu so hopefully i should be ok.

i got the cpu from ebuyer, it would have been cheaper at overclockers but only by 5 pound. i did a few research on the 11400 and 11500, the power comparison for the 2 was very similar but the igpu was much better on the 11500 so i thought it was wise to get the 11500.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-11500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-11400/m1496869vs4112

i got help from these comparison, as you can see, theres not much difference apart from the integrated gpu.

Reactions: Why_Me
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-11500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-11400/m1496869vs4112

i got help from these comparison, as you can see, theres not much difference apart from the integrated gpu.
Make sure to use an aftermarket cpu cooler.

30 quid is a decent price for this.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products...black-edition-cpu-cooler/rr-212s-20pk-r1.html
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler £30.29

Reactions: froggy8

InvalidError

Titan
Make sure to use an aftermarket cpu cooler.

30 quid is a decent price for this.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products...black-edition-cpu-cooler/rr-212s-20pk-r1.html
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler £30.29
I got one to replace the temporary ~10 years old 212+ I used on my 11400. With the 212+, my cores could peak at up to 75C. With the EVO, they rarely break 65C.

However, the EVO's plastic weighs next to nothing, is very stiff and makes me feel like it'll welcome any excuse to spontaneously break.

Reactions: froggy8 and Why_Me

jasonf2

Distinguished
The PSU may need updated regardless of wattage. Even though it will plug in (headers haven't changed on the motherboard) there have been changes made over time to the low power states on PSUs. Depending on how old it is (and who made it) that was corsairs value line PSU. Corsair is a sticker brand and doesn't actually manufacture, but they typically have good quality standards and control even at their value levels. I would run it and if things get unstable (especially when dealing with sleep mode) update it. 3000 series Nvidia cards have pushed my suggested base power supply to 750 watts from a reputable brand and I suggest 80+ gold. The gold thing isn't because of the efficiency gains, it is because value line components (typical with the bronze lineups) can be hit and miss, even with quality brands. Poor quality PSU = unstable machine.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I got one to replace the temporary ~10 years old 212+ I used on my 11400. With the 212+, my cores could peak at up to 75C. With the EVO, they rarely break 65C.

However, the EVO's plastic weighs next to nothing, is very stiff and makes me feel like it'll welcome any excuse to spontaneously break.
that was my original thought, i was going to get that but wanted rgb though.

InvalidError

Titan
I would recommend the vetroo over the 212 Evo any day tbh.
I'm not a fan of brackets that attach from under the aluminum block since that means forces are continuously trying to rip the fine-threaded screws out of it. With the 212+/EVO, you have a steel X-bracket applying force directly from the middle of the aluminum block's top with steel screws that go into steel stand-offs and steel nuts behind the steel back-plate. All of the structural stuff is steel.

Installation can be a bit of a PITA, kind of wish manufacturers went back S478-style cam-locks with the base bracket pre-installed on boards, similar to what AMD did on AM4 with the usually pre-installed Prism bracket which needs to be removed to install most other HSFs.

DSzymborski

Titan
no i am going to use my existing one, i havent had it 2 years yet so i think it should be ok.

if i do replace it, which psu would you go for? then i will have a look at it.

Yuck. It wasn't OK when it was new. And it wasn't new two years ago, I think the last time the CX 600 was actually manufactured was 2013 or 2014.

Literally anything in Tier A or B in our curated PSU list would be an improvement. And I'd take most of Tier C over it, too.

Though if you're not using the GTX 480 after all, that takes care of a lot of the issues. I still wouldn't use it on anything that was new; when I buy a new car, I don't also transfer over the crumbs that were between the seats of the old car.

In the end though, it's your PC to protect, or, well, to not protect as the case may be.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Yuck. It wasn't OK when it was new. And it wasn't new two years ago, I think the last time the CX 600 was actually manufactured was 2013 or 2014.

Literally anything in Tier A or B in our curated PSU list would be an improvement. And I'd take most of Tier C over it, too.

Though if you're not using the GTX 480 after all, that takes care of a lot of the issues. I still wouldn't use it on anything that was new; when I buy a new car, I don't also transfer over the crumbs that were between the seats of the old car.

In the end though, it's your PC to protect, or, well, to not protect as the case may be.
many thanks for that

i will have a look at that list for tier c psu.