Discussion my first ever intel build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

thought i would start the build early if anyone is interested at looking at other peoples pc's., i have got 2 out of 3 items already and i will order the 3rd one on monday.

my pc is quite old ( 4th gen) so i figured, bout time i upgrade it.

i will be keeping my pc case, psu and gpu but replacing the mobo, cpu and rams.

i will update as i go along, here are the things ive got so far:

not sure how to post pictures on here properly though.

once my rams gets delivered then i will sort of do a step by step pictures.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Those are both excellent PSUs and short of running a very power-hungry GPU like an RTX 3080 or RTX 3090, I'd be very comfortable having either of these in any of my rigs.

(Well, not the one with the 3080 of course, but that's just because of the power spikes, not because the PSU sucks or anything. In any case, it doesn't sound like you have a desire to having one of these anytime soon)

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Those are both excellent PSUs and short of running a very power-hungry GPU like an RTX 3080 or RTX 3090, I'd be very comfortable having either of these in any of my rigs.

(Well, not the one with the 3080 of course, but that's just because of the power spikes, not because the PSU sucks or anything. In any case, it doesn't sound like you have a desire to having one of these anytime soon)
thank you for your help

i guess i am very stubborn as alot of people have mentioned my psu to be inadequate. i just thought if i dont stress the psu at all then it should be fine but yeah i agree, the quality have to factor in too.

looking at the sea sonic what i posted, the fully modular does catch my eyes. something about the fully modular that makes it that much tidier in terms of cable management.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019

no not really into gpu, reason why i put up a thread asking which gpu to replace my gtx 480 is because of the power hunger.

Just stay away from the Seasonic Focus Plus as it has issues. The Seasonic Focus GX (which you've linked) is a different PSU and so far no problems with it.
Afaik, the Seasonic Focus Plus had GPU issues before

Here's something you do not see that often, Seasonic confirmed that their FOCUS PLUS power supplies can have issues with certain graphics cards resulting in black screens under GPU stress, the issue seems related to high ripple under GPU load.
2019 Based Seasonic Focus GX/GM/PX have these issues fixed.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
https://www.ebuyer.com/919259-seaso...650w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-core-gm-650

Just stay away from the Seasonic Focus Plus as it has issues. The Seasonic Focus GX (which you've linked) is a different PSU and so far no problems with it.
Afaik, the Seasonic Focus Plus had GPU issues before

2019 Based Seasonic Focus GX/GM/PX have these issues fixed.
thank you, that is good to know.

had to double check at the fully modular what i wanted, that is focus gx so i am good.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019

what do you think to NZXT brand?

i like the look of this one:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/850...80plus-gold-single-rail-70a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Good luck!
If there's one thing about seasonic PSUs, their cables are quite stiff. If you wish to remove them, press onto the clip and wiggle it sideways while pulling it outward. Don't apply too much force when pulling it outward less you bend some pins, always in moderation.

Also don't get mixed up with the connector for CPU (EPS) and GPU (PCI-E). They look similar but should not be interchanged, but I have the same cables as you do and they're labeled anyways so you don't get mixed up.

Reactions: froggy8 and Why_Me

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Good luck!
If there's one thing about seasonic PSUs, their cables are quite stiff. If you wish to remove them, press onto the clip and wiggle it sideways while pulling it outward. Don't apply too much force when pulling it outward less you bend some pins, always in moderation.

Also don't get mixed up with the connector for CPU (EPS) and GPU (PCI-E). They look similar but should not be interchanged, but I have the same cables as you do and they're labeled anyways so you don't get mixed up.
thanks for the heads up, i will just take my time and i should be ok.