My first Gaming build Help would be much appreciated :)

FruitlessElf

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Hey guys this is my first post ( although I'm definetly not new to the forum, I LOVE IT!!!! So much useful information ) so I am building my first gaming pc and am just wandering if anyone could give me advice on how many fans I should get/need and yes I may be close to biting of more than I can chew (watercooling) for my first build by I am really looking forward to it. I am really just looking for ANY help, tips and tricks and advice that will help make this as "smooth sailing" as possible thanks a lot in advance guys. Oh and is this a ok build??? http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dfv8Z8

Solution
It depends on your budget.
Editing on the i5 will be slower of course. Not sure if the unreal engine profits off an i7 or not, out of depth

The i7 is the better gaming CPU however only for a handful of games, like most things based on Frostbite 3 engine and a few other games. The majority of games still struggles to use 4 threads fully yet alone 8.
If you can afford it comfortably it's a nice cpu.

As for the board generally ASUS & Gigabyte make the best boards. I'm a bit of a sucker for Gigabyte these days as ASUS charges premium for same quality in most places.

My recommendation for a board again depends on your needs. Usually a Gigabyte Z170X UD5/Gaming5/Gaming 6 can handle pretty much most things a power user wants
A gaming 7 is...
i'd recommend:
-650w PSU
-Checking if that cooler already comes with thermal paste. Most do.
-Less fans.
------Cooler on top fills top fan slots
------Rear slot is filled with stock 140mm fan
------Front slot is filled with stock 200mm fan
That only leaves room for two fans on the hdd cage (which are unnecessary in your case since you are not filling your cage and don't need extra cooling) and the bottom slot which i'm sure you will cover with the included psu cover.

For the sake of looks, if you plan to purchase red led fans,

200mm replacement for front:
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MegaFlow-200-Computer/dp/B002LE8BJA

140mm replacement for rear:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-AF140-Quiet-High-Airflow/dp/B00F6S0XL2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1477119604&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=red+led+140mm+fann

if you mount the cooler to the hdd cages, I'd only recommend putting a single fan 120mm on the top portion of the case to maintain positive pressure. positive pressure is where there is more air coming in than going out. This pushes dust out rather than pulling it in. Negative pressure is the opposite. I'd probably recommend this configuration mentioned in this paragraph..

Case Pressure Explained - Positive vs Neutral vs Negative:
https://youtu.be/4NYHC3DXynM?t=139

A 650W PSU is nice but by no means mandatory. Card uses 180W, CPU around 90W. All in all 550W are sufficient if you don't apply a crazy overclock.

Why you'd wanna replace quality Phanteks fans with comparably crappy Cooler Master and Corsair ones is unclear to me. The Phanteks fans move more air at higher pressure while being quieter.
There are red led fans from Phanteks as well.

As for the build:
Do.you have at least a 2k monitor? Because of youre gaming on 1080p a GTX1080 is a serious waste of money. A 1070 is more than sufficient even for 'future proving'.
Thermal paste can be cut
For the board go with the Gigabyte or the Asus. Gigabyte/Asus > MSI/AsRock
And do you really need a 1TB SSD? 400$ is a lot of money. Also usually Crucial MX300 has the best price/performance ratio.
If you can afford it slightly higher clocked RAM (DDR4-2800) is nice but it's no tragedy if not

FruitlessElf

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks a lot guys for the help it really is much appreciated. One thing I love about the pc gaming community is the fact that it is indeed a community. That link really helped me understand about case pressure very useful info I'm definitely aiming for positive pressure. N3rdR4ge!!!! Omg didn't realise this until I clicked your build link but I actually saw your build on the pc part picker builds list under the case I'm getting and have to say I'm very inspired to..."copy" what you have done except Hulk Themed your case is honestly F&#king amazing!!! Oh yer that's another thing I'd love to go green but it seems like there are very limited green coloured hardware or at least hardware that I could find available in Australia I guess a bit of vinyl wrap and planning may be able to solve that or would vinyl wrap make my parts hotter? Also when I change my build will I need to repost a new link or will it update the link I posted? Sorry am new to posting on forums. I don't have a 2k or 4K monitor at the moment but I do want that option to be available to me when I have the money (hopefully not too long) and the deal with all the fans and thermal paste was because my last gaming pc had problems with running hot so I'm a little paranoid and unfortunately same goes for the SSD my last gaming pc's Hdd gave out and I lost everything, I am aware that I don't "need" that much SSD but given the likely hood for that to fail compared to a hdd is rather be safe than sorry. I suppose since I am " future proofing " it would be wise to get a bigger psu so that in time to come when better gpus are available I can just upgrade the gpu and not have to worry about the psu also. Looks are NOT main priority ( I know it might have looked like that from all the red stuff in my list ) even though it would be nice functionality and practicality will always provale for me. Once again thanks for all the help.

New generations of card draw less Power.
550W is enough.to Power any Single GPU + an i7

You gotta remember an i7-6700k is specified for 91W
The craziest OC 1080s and Titans that are sold are around 250W. Add another 60W for the Board and you're around 400W. This is Peak efficiency for.most.550W PSUs.
The rule "power draw + 50% headroom" is by now pretty much outdated especially with high quality PSUs like the Seasonic.

My old.pc ran hot too. But it had a 30$ case and a 130W CPU.
Now I'm running an i7 and after several hours of bf1 it was still cool and quiet, my case fans didn't even speed up. So I wouldn't worry too much.
Especially with that case!

FruitlessElf

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Ah ha!!! Thank you just goes to show how much of a noob I am (and NO math skills). Would you recommend that I upgrade my Cpu to the i7 6700k because I would like this computer to be able to kinda do anything I throw at it and I do enjoy video/music editing and even designing games on unreal engine will the i5 be able to keep up? Also what Gigabyte/Asus board do you recommend? Thanks a lot it feels good to be learning about this stuff!

It depends on your budget.
Editing on the i5 will be slower of course. Not sure if the unreal engine profits off an i7 or not, out of depth

The i7 is the better gaming CPU however only for a handful of games, like most things based on Frostbite 3 engine and a few other games. The majority of games still struggles to use 4 threads fully yet alone 8.
If you can afford it comfortably it's a nice cpu.

As for the board generally ASUS & Gigabyte make the best boards. I'm a bit of a sucker for Gigabyte these days as ASUS charges premium for same quality in most places.

My recommendation for a board again depends on your needs. Usually a Gigabyte Z170X UD5/Gaming5/Gaming 6 can handle pretty much most things a power user wants
A gaming 7 is nice when you got a high end analogue 5.1 sound system without any external amp
The Z170x-designare is an enthusiast board

On the Asus side of things, the Maximus series would be the equivalent series and are very very popular. or the sabertooth which too is a great board.

Can't really go wrong with any of these boards

Solution