My first gaming PC build

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hey guys!
I'm trying to get my first gaming PC together and i think that i am doing pretty good so far, but some thoughts of changes or things i did wrong would be great!

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4770K Processor

MSI GeForce GTX 780 Gaming 3GB

xfx proseries core edition 850w psu gold

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Fan

Fractal Design Define R4

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB HD

Windows 8.1

Solution
Most of the fans that I order come with a 4-pin to molex adapter for plugging them into the PSU. But plugging them into the PSU directly means that you cannot regulate their speeds. But only 4-pin fans would be controlled by the motherboard in terms of speed. For 3-pin, you will need an external source like a fan controller or if you have a dedicated cable that caps at a certain voltage. But then, you still can't change the speeds dynamically; you would have to replace that cable.

Jan Bernard Payumo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
That would be a really great system! If you are okay with OC'ing the ram, you might want to up it up to 1866. Some articles show that 1866 normally has the best blend of CL and Frequency. Or better yet, buy a pre-clocked 1866 ram.
Other good selections are the G.SKill Sniper and RipjawsX

Lastly, have you considered a secondary HDD? Something to store extra stuff on? 250GB can get consumed pretty fast..

NiCoM

Honorable
Two mistakes made here are a too big power supply and limited storage.

The 850w is way over your needs, only if you're planning SLI in the near future you should pick this, else get a 650w, would say the XFX Proseries XXX edition, it's a solid psu.

Storage you should get a 2TB HDD, doesn't need to be the fastest. :)

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for the response!
I have added a HDD seagate barracuda 1TB 7200rpm.
Also i would really want some nice airflow in the case so i added two Noctua NF-P12 120mm, but i don't know if i should chose 120mm or the 140mm???
Also about the power supply, i'm thinking of doing some SLI action! :D But not in the first year.
and i'm gonna look at some pre-clocked 1866 ram!

Thx for the response, more would be great!

Jan Bernard Payumo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Then that solves the PSU situation.. :) 120mm or 140mm, it doesn't really matter that much. What you need to think of is their placement inside the case. A good layout is where there are fans for pushing air in and fans for pushing hot air out.

NiCoM

Honorable

Check the case if it actually can fit the 140mm fans, if it can then take the 140mm, bigger fans means better airflow or running slower for quieter operation.

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks again guys!
Im gonna go for some 140mm then and the same power supply. I changed my ram to 2x8 instead of 4x4 but the same brand 1600hz.
Do you think I'm ready to go?! :)

Jan Bernard Payumo

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

That's better! Dual channel is better if you want to OC. I think you're ready.

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Just one last question for you guys!
i have been searching the web about how many fans my motherboard can connect to and i can't find the answer.
I'm going to use the 2 fans coming with the case + 3 ekstra 120mm fans to get uptimal airflow.
Question: Can my motherboard connect with 5 fans + CPU cooler??? Or should i buy a Fan controller just to keep it all nice and simple??

Again thank you!

Yes; should be good. There are at least 5 -- two on top right, one below the CPU, and two along the bottom. But you don't need your motherboard to power all fans. You can make use of the MOLEX cables too. Or if you want, buy a fan controller.

Like I said, you don't need to connect ALL of your fans to your motherboard. You can connect them directly to the power supply via MOLEX cables or to a fan controller. Some case comes with some fan controller on front so there are some ports you can connect to there. You can always buy a dedicated fan controller as well. So there are more than one way to power a fan.

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
What do i need to connect my fans to the psu?? or do they just go straight in to it?? And can i still use my 5v or 7v cables if i dont plug into the motherboard?

Most of the fans that I order come with a 4-pin to molex adapter for plugging them into the PSU. But plugging them into the PSU directly means that you cannot regulate their speeds. But only 4-pin fans would be controlled by the motherboard in terms of speed. For 3-pin, you will need an external source like a fan controller or if you have a dedicated cable that caps at a certain voltage. But then, you still can't change the speeds dynamically; you would have to replace that cable.

Solution

Badubadu

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Conclusion, I can get my fans to go quieter by using my low noise cables and then put them into my psi? I know i can regullate the speed as i want to, but they will go quieter with the 5v or 7v cables right?

Using the Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans