[SOLVED] My first GPU cooled AIO. Can't figure out how to do it?

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
My goal: Want a non overclocked, whisper quiet build for gaming at 1440p/75fps average

Case: Phanteks p400a. Says you can't ceiling mount a radiator

The Card: evga 2080 RTX Super Black using a Kraken G12 mounting kit

This will be the first time I have ever replaced a video cards cooler as well as my first ever AIO. It's a H55 Corsair Hydro. Of all the things I didn't research was how long the tubes are.

Now before I install it I'm eyeballing it and thinking I'll never make it from the GPU to the front or the rear for mounting. The tubing is 300mm and feels rigid.

Am I being paranoid about the length? Is it safe to bend the tubing to reach a good mounting spot? Is it absolutely required for the radiator to be above the pump? (Cancels out a basement mounting if so)

Thanks.

Solution
Air gets trapped in the impeller inside the pump housing, normally it would rest above the impeller and you wouldnt hear any fluid noise, but upside down cheap AIOs are going to have air in the impeller which causes vibration noise and water noise.

SP fans should be mounted sealed against the radiator, the excel at pushing air hard though a restricted area, once you add escape routes the air will go around the rad instead of through.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks. Okay so I plugged it in and just held it to hear the sound. On Normal speed it is utterly quiet, no buzzing, no gurgling, no noise at all when you face the copper plate downwards or vertically... but as soon as you turn it upside down, i.e. making the copper part of the pump face the ceiling it buzzes like crazy. Of course it would be the ONLY direction that you can set it on a GPU that it makes a tonne of noise. Why could this be? I tried gently shaking, tapping, facing different directions and tapping, but it didn't fix it.

Also should your static pressure fan be right flush up against the radiator or should it be set back a couple mm? I did a search and just cannot find an answer to this.

Last edited:
Air gets trapped in the impeller inside the pump housing, normally it would rest above the impeller and you wouldnt hear any fluid noise, but upside down cheap AIOs are going to have air in the impeller which causes vibration noise and water noise.

SP fans should be mounted sealed against the radiator, the excel at pushing air hard though a restricted area, once you add escape routes the air will go around the rad instead of through.

Solution