My first Homebuild - Need advice please

flashleet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hello everyone,

After many years of computer use I am finally ready to take the bold leap into homebuilding!

Approximate Purchase Date: This coming week I will be buying everything.

Budget Range: $600-$700 Australian Dollars (I have a lot of parts already so shouldn't be an issue)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming with some video editing. Office etc.

Parts Not Required: GPU - Nvidia 9800GT, PSU - CoolerMaster 700w eXtreme Power Plus, Sony DVD/RW Drive, 500GB Western Digital HD.

Preferred Website for Parts: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Intel. This case from Umart I thought - Antec Nine Hundred Two Tower Gaming Case w Side Window black (no PSU) - It has no image but click on the case above; I imagine it would be very similar to that one except it will have fan filters. Also, I thought the new generation i5 CPU looked great for $235.

Overclocking: Probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future, depending how much 9800GTs are now/if I need it.

Monitor Resolution: I think 1280x1240 - not sure though. Primary is 23" widescreen. Secondary is 19" letterbox.

Additional Comments: Will I need to format my HD when I use it first time in this machine? What will happen when I boot up with a HD that has Vista 32bit on it? I plan to buy windows 7 for the OS, would I need to format on install?

I would really appreciate build advice, especially for the Motherboard as I have very limited knowledge about them/what I need.

Eagerly awaiting responses,
Flash :)

Solution
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

I don't know if you could get those parts, but if you could that is my 2 cents on a 600$ build. I'll just wait on your response.

EDIT: Oh I just read that you have a lot of the parts already. My link was for a entire build.

1. No you won't need to format it, IF you are going to be using the exact same data. IE like Vista. But you are using Win7 (later) when you go to install your Win7, Windows will format your HDD or ask to format it at least. If you have important data, then do a backup.

2. My recommendations is for you to get the i5 2500K. I don't think you need to get a i7 2600K, as much money as you can save is pretty sweet :D I think the GA-P67A-UD4 is a great board. But according to...

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I am not familiar with Intel builds (check out Wikipedia for info on Intel motherboard chipsets--sometimes I've found them really helpful), but to answer your question about the HD, formatting would be highly recommended (if not necessary), because you'll have all the wrong drivers on it and that could mess things up (Vista might not even be able to boot up).

Also, don't forget to use one of these when you make your new rig, to be on the safe-side, if for no other reason.

http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

I don't know if you could get those parts, but if you could that is my 2 cents on a 600$ build. I'll just wait on your response.

EDIT: Oh I just read that you have a lot of the parts already. My link was for a entire build.

1. No you won't need to format it, IF you are going to be using the exact same data. IE like Vista. But you are using Win7 (later) when you go to install your Win7, Windows will format your HDD or ask to format it at least. If you have important data, then do a backup.

2. My recommendations is for you to get the i5 2500K. I don't think you need to get a i7 2600K, as much money as you can save is pretty sweet :D I think the GA-P67A-UD4 is a great board. But according to Umart it's only on Pre-Order. But still that's my choice, cheaper than most of the Asus boards and performs pretty much the same. I would have to say since your not overclocking.

EDIT: OH they only sell the i5 2400. Umm well if you ever plan on OCing don't plan on a very good one. The non-K 2x00 CPU's are meant for users who are just going to leave the CPU stock, they don't have a very high OC, Turbo is the most you'll get out of an OC.

By the way, since you won't OC and since your probably not going to be able to SLI (since I don't think any P67 boards offer SLI yet) get this board. Asus P8P67 LE L1155 P67 It's one of the cheaper ATX boards for the SB on Umart but that is really all you need.

Case, the 902 is pretty sweet, I have one myself and it looks really nice. I'm not sure if you mean you want to get it so I'll just give you a pic of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058&cm_re=antec_902-_-11-129-058-_-Product

Memory, get this it's pretty good for a low price. G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 CL8(CL8D-4GBRM)

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

Well sorry for my disorganization but this is my recs.

Solution

flashleet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks Shinobi, I appreciate it.

My budget is fairly open for the motherboard especially. Is there an alternative that you may have suggested if the budget was unlimited (taking into account I will upgrade components into the future to keep the system current). Or is that Asus MB very much suited to what I would need for now and the next 4+ years?

EDIT: The main thing I need help choosing is the MB - I really have no idea what I am looking at. I can install all hardware on the MB, though. Just don't know how to pick one ;)

EDIT 2: "* When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended."

Does this mean I can't have more than 4GB RAM on this MB? Seems a little odd to me... Would this one be better for me? Asus P8P67 PRO L1155 P67

Thanks,
Flash :)

Well what Well there isn't much you need to take into account since you have an Nvidia card so future SLI is kind of out of the option. But usually I'd recommend the CF or SLI performance. IE the lane performance with two cards implemented. So 16x/8x 16x/16x 8x/8x etc. etc. That'd determine your upgrade and expandability. So if you want to be able to have expansion I recommend getting the gigabyte I prior mentioned.

You can, but 32bit doesn't register more than 3gb. You have to get 64bit OS in order to have 4gb register.

flashleet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Ahhh ok.

Is 64bit OS just a matter of buying the 64bit version? Would it work on the Asus MB you first suggested?

I always have been confused by 32bit/64bit :S

EDIT: Just read into it a bit, but I have some questions. Would my 9800GT be compatible with 64bit? By the sounds of things, to be more future proof 64bit is the go if stuff starts using more RAM...?

EDIT 2: I see the OEM versions of Windows 7 64bit on Umart. Will the OEM version run on my new build? I don't fully understand what needs to be present to run an OEM version... Could anyone please clarify?

Thanks again,
Flash

1. Well 64 bit is more frequent now a days because of high memory demanding apps, the standard is really 4gb+. So IMO go with 64bit

2. The 9800GT is compatible with 64bit yes.

3. OEM is just straight from the manufacturer or from PC's that had Win7 come with it. The thing about OEM is they're pretty good deals, nothing wrong with them.

flashleet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
You've been such a great help, Shinobi.

This is the final build I have come up with. I am looking for final changes/suggestions before I go ahead and order these parts. :D

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE L1155 P67

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 Processor LGA1155 3.1GHz CPU

PSU: CoolerMaster 700w

GPU: Nvidia 9800GT

RAM: Kingston DDR3 2x4GB (8GB total)

HD: Seagate 500GB 16m cache AND Western Digital 500GB

DVD: Sony NEC DVD/RW combo

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 ---- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Can anyone please comment on/advise of any changes you feel should be made.

Thanks so much,
Flash

flashleet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Oh no, I understood that. Just used it for illustration myself. :) Umart have "Antec Nine Hundred Two Tower Gaming Case w Side Window black" instock so I should be fine with that.