My first laptop, need suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
1_What is your budget?
300-500. Preferably around 300 but if someone can find a really good one around 500, I'll be glad to consider it.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Any size, really. Just not a beast like Alienware.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't have to be higher than 1680x1050. I don't mind the 720p resolutions.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I just need a portable laptop.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Average, I assume. I'll be having this plugged into an outlet as much as possible.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Games aren't a priority, but I'm pretty sure any $300ish laptop should be able to play warcraft 3. I'll keep the hardcore games on the desktop =).

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Nothing crazy. It's mainly for school, music, the occasional web browsing, and watching movies at work.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Probably not that much. 160GB at most.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Tigerdirect, circuit city, newegg, frys, etc. I can buy from stores, too. I just need to know what laptop is worth my budget.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
For years!

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer is fine. Bluray will be a pleasant bonus.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm really not sure, but I've seen some nice ASUS laptops, a few Acers, the typical Sonys, and Dells. I would love people to fill me in on choosing the correct brand for my needs.

13_What country do you live in?
California, USA.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Nothing more that I can say. I'm waiting for black friday, but I'd love to know what are good laptops now so I can look around more confidently later. Thanks for any input!

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion Maziar. The laptop seems pretty decent and covers my needs, but the reviews scare me. Also, what are decent processors for laptops? I'm not entirely sure. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS