My first overclock (2500K + Hyper 212 EVO)

G

I have finally overclocked my 2500K. :) It's nothing spectacular, I did 4.0 GHz because it's my first time ever.

Stock Vcore for 3.3 GHz was between 1.184 V and 1.192 V under 100% load.

I went straight for 4.0 GHz with Vcore set to 1.25 V, which wasn't enough to keep the system stable under load so I increased it to 1.275 V.

Here are the results during 17th pass in LinX (at 1 hour mark) and shortly after 20th pass:

During
After

As you can see, max temperature is 55 °C. In comparison, max temperature at 3.3 GHz was 52.5 °C after 20 minutes in Prime95. I'm talking about average across all 4 cores, of course.

1 hour or 20 passes in LinX is considered stable, right?

Rest of my rig:

Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
WD Caviar Blue 640GB
XFX XXX Edition 650W
Zalman Z9 Plus (front intake, back exhaust, top exhaust for now)
No GPU yet

I will attempt to reach the highest possible overclock without exceeding Vcore of 1.3 V.

My question is, how would you rate my chip? Horrible, bad, average, good, excellent? Based on other people's overclocks, I'd say it rates somewhere around average or good. Batch number is L149B050.

Wow. Good temps. And good overclock. I haven't tried OC'ing my setup yet...although I Have no reason to...yet.

Compared to my OC (nil) your OC is excellent IMO with those temps. If your system passed a 1 hour test - I would say it will probably be stable.

G

This was just a trial run, I'll set it back to 3.3 GHz until I buy GPU so that I can game properly, then I'll try to get stable 4.2-4.3 GHz. :)

Btw, very nice setup. 2550K is not very common.

At your temps 4.2 or even 4.3 should be stable (I highly doubt you would break 65C at those temps and that OC if you plan on going that high).

And thanks. I wanted to OC it a little bit to see how it does - however when I did a 1 hour test with OCCT (kind of like prime95) and stressed my CPU cores - my temps climbed to about 75C after 1 hour, it currently idles around 40C. I think I might have to either re-seat my cooler, or fix the location of where my computer is sitting right now. Currently I have some stuff on top of my PC (it's an HTPC) including my receiver - so I'm guessing that might be blocking my top air vent causing higher temperatures.

I'll probably try stressing it this weekend again with all that stuff off of my HTPC case.

G

I've read that LinX is the strongest stress test, supposedly it does in 1 hour what Prime95 does in 8 hours.

75 °C sounds pretty high for SB with an aftermarket cooler, I would definitely consider reseating it.

I've read that LinX is the strongest stress test, supposedly it does in 1 hour what Prime95 does in 8 hours.

Ahh IDK. I do know OCCT stressed my CPU cores so they were hovering around 99-100% the whole time. OCCT can also stress the GPU as well.

75 °C sounds pretty high for SB with an aftermarket cooler, I would definitely consider reseating it.

Yeah it is kind of high. The only problem is my case. Right where my Scythe Big Shiruken 2 sits - there is only 1/2" gap between my Blu ray drive and my Cooler and my Blu ray drives hangs over my Big Shiruken 2 half way. I think that's causing a higher temperature as well since there isn't much space at all in this HTPC. Everything fits in quite tight.

Edit: Heres my link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338664-31-system-completely-though

It shows how it's set up.

G

Got to love fresh, out of the box components. :)

I think you should've picked more roomy, upwards standing case.

Here's mine: 1 2 3

(Note that fans are running at full speed, yet you can see them as if they're off, hehe.)

Wow no wonder the excellent temps! Good cable management. Looks nice and clean. And damn that cooler looks much bigger once it's installed :p

Yeah, next time I might just go for a full on ATX tower. For now I just wanted a smaller case that doesn't take up much space. I used a full tower ATX case on my last build I did, and boy was it a monster. It literally weighed 80lb with nothing inside of it (made of all steel) lol.

G

Heh, it took me 2-3 hours to get everything in place. That's my first computer build since about 2003. I think it's decent for first try at cable management, but there's definitely room for improvement (it's quite messy on the other, non-visible side).

80 pounds? Seriously? :O My colleague from work has 60 pound case (empty) and I thought that one's heavy, but yours... Wow. Mine is 15 pounds. :D

Heh, it took me 2-3 hours to get everything in place. That's my first computer build since about 2003. I think it's decent for first try at cable management, but there's definitely room for improvement (it's quite messy on the other, non-visible side)

Nice. 3 hours is pretty good. At least your cables are away from your main components.

80 pounds? Seriously? :O My colleague from work has 60 pound case (empty) and I thought that one's heavy, but yours... Wow. Mine is 15 pounds. :D

Haha yea. I think it was a Thermaltake Xaser that I used to have, not exactly sure if it was the xaser though. It was definately a Thermaltake though.

G

Here it is, 4.2 GHz on Vcore = 1.28V, max temperature 56 °C (ambient temperature is 26 °C), 70 minutes in LinX successfully.

2012_03_24_153630a.jpg

squirrelonfire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Hey that's very impressive. Do you have a lot of fans inside your case or just a CPU cooler and 2 fans (up and side)? I have the same set up and I want to OC tonight. Thanks.

G

Old thread. :) I have 1 front, 2 side, 1 rear and 1 top fan along with CPU fan.

In the meantime I managed to get a nice and stable 4.3 GHz overclock using offset mode but decided to back down to stock clock speed because it's more than enough for gaming. No need to force high clock when CPU usage never exceeds 40-60% even on stock.