Question My first pc build had smoke come out and killed my power cord. What should I do?

Oct 14, 2020
Hi, Its my first pc build.
After all the wires and rechecking for hours. I turned on the pc and there was light, small lightning and one of the case fan blew out and smoke was coming out. Then, my power chord went out.

I am afraid as I don't know what happened here or what is the cause of this. I checked the psu and it is working. The mobo cpu power has 12 slot and I only put in the 1 cable that has 8 slots.

The specs are below:
I7 9700K
Gigabyte aorus z390 Ultra
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT, 80 Plus Gold 750W
T-force 2x8gb ram
Rosewell prism pc case - comes with 4 case fans with hub.

Wolfshadw

Titan
This is a motherboard stand-off. If needed, they should have come with your computer case. They screw into the motherboard tray and your motherboard is screwed into these. They create separation between the bottom of your motherboard and your motherboard tray to prevent short-circuits like the one you describe.

standoffm3.main.jpg

-Wolf sends

Reactions: joeey
Oct 14, 2020
Interesting. I did not see those screws. However when I did screw into it. it looked goldish. Maybe its already mounted on the case? How would i be able to know?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Interesting. I did not see those screws. However when I did screw into it. it looked goldish. Maybe its already mounted on the case? How would i be able to know?

It's possible they were pre-mounted. It's also possible that the motherboard tray has raised mounting points The only way to know for sure is to remove the motherboard and see what you did. Also, let us know the exact model of your PC case.

-Wolf sends

Oct 14, 2020

Wolfshadw

Titan
No need to undo anything. That case has pre-install stand-offs (yes, the gold-ish screws). So as long as those are there, you didn't likely short out the motherboard.

Next, I'd recheck your wiring to make sure everything is properly connected and secure.

-Wolf sends

Oct 14, 2020
No need to undo anything. That case has pre-install stand-offs (yes, the gold-ish screws). So as long as those are there, you didn't likely short out the motherboard.

Next, I'd recheck your wiring to make sure everything is properly connected and secure.

-Wolf sends

everything is working fine now. I tried to turn on and off about 10 times and no short circuits. Will the short circuit problem be bad?
I will upload and show you some of the power and the connectors.

Wolfshadw

Titan
A puff of smoke is never a good sign. I'd take a very close look at your motherboard to see if you note any discoloring or burn marks/melted capacitors/etc... and unless you've actually taken the power supply to an actual test center (unlikely), I'd forever consider that suspect and would replace it as soon as possible.

-Wolf sends

Oct 14, 2020
A puff of smoke is never a good sign. I'd take a very close look at your motherboard to see if you note any discoloring or burn marks/melted capacitors/etc... and unless you've actually taken the power supply to an actual test center (unlikely), I'd forever consider that suspect and would replace it as soon as possible.

-Wolf sends

I never thought of it that way. Do I return just the Mobo and PSU or other things?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Personally, I'd start by replacing the power supply. If all seems to work fine at that point, I'd probably just keep using the current motherboard (unless you note obvious damage on it). The rest of your components may or may not have been damaged. You won't know until you stress test them.

-Wolf sends

Oct 14, 2020
Personally, I'd start by replacing the power supply. If all seems to work fine at that point, I'd probably just keep using the current motherboard (unless you note obvious damage on it). The rest of your components may or may not have been damaged. You won't know until you stress test them.

-Wolf sends

Hey dude I really appreciate your help. I will check and see what needs be replaced.
Btw what do you recommend to do a stress test?