Question My first PC build - Opinions please??

Jul 16, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying the parts for my new PC build, but as I'm completely new to doing this I'd really appreciate any advice/opinions on my set up. I'm planning to use this computer to edit 4k video in both Premiere and Davinci Resolve (which utilises the GPU).

Parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-core
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4
Memory: Corair - Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Application Storage: Samsung - 970 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 SSD
Project storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you in advance for any help!

- Patrick

Since you plan on using this for Premiere get the fastest RAM you can, I believe Premiere gets a significant boost to performance when you start going up in RAM speed.

I would suggest a 500GB to 1TB drive also for your boot and application drive, 250GB fills up alot faster then you would think.

850 watts is overkill for your build unless you plan on added high draw hardware down the line, 650 watts would be more then enough.

Jul 16, 2019
Since you plan on using this for Premiere get the fastest RAM you can, I believe Premiere gets a significant boost to performance when you start going up in RAM speed.

I would suggest a 500GB to 1TB drive also for your boot and application drive, 250GB fills up alot faster then you would think.

850 watts is overkill for your build unless you plan on added high draw hardware down the line, 650 watts would be more then enough.

Thanks for your help! It looks like 64GB of DDR4-3600 RAM is going to be quite expensive... Do you think getting something like the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 would be a better option than getting 64 GB of DDR4-3200 in terms of performance?

With regard to the PSU, I went for the 850 W as there didn't seem to be a big difference in price - is there a disadvantage to having a PSU that's overkill for a build?

Thanks again,
Patrick

Thanks for your help! It looks like 64GB of DDR4-3600 RAM is going to be quite expensive... Do you think getting something like the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 would be a better option than getting 64 GB of DDR4-3200 in terms of performance?

With regard to the PSU, I went for the 850 W as there didn't seem to be a big difference in price - is there a disadvantage to having a PSU that's overkill for a build?

Thanks again,
Patrick

I'm not 100% sure on the exact advantage of speed to cpacity for your use, you should check out some Adobe forums or search around Google for benchamarks.

As far as PSU size goes you want to choose one that will use between 50-70% of the total wattage under load for maximum efficiency.

TRENDING THREADS