Question My First PC (Need Opinions)

aussiemite

Commendable
Apr 8, 2021
Hello everyone, I’ve bought a PC for the very first time off eBay the other day for $330.00, I was quite skeptical at first due to the low cost but after researching the hardware and what the PC contains for its overall price, it’s not a bad deal, but still quite skeptical due to not knowing how well the PC has been looked after previously, although the seller seems legit and knows his stuff, which is a good sign. I have photos of the hardware but I’m not sure on how to post it on this thread.

The description of the PC eBay advertisement:

“* This is an Acer branded PC that has had SSD and video card upgrades.

* The original Nvidia GT 625 was upgraded to a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti. The GT 625 is not included.

* An additional 120GB SSD was added with Windows 10 being installed to this drive.

* A fresh copy of Windows 10 Home 20H2 has been installed. It activated automatically due to the Windows 8.1 product key that was injected into the motherboard by Acer.

* Please note: The power supply does not have a PCI-E connector.

* Intel Core i5-4440 (3.10 GHz)

* Acer H81 LGA1150 Motherboard

* 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600 (2 x 4GB)

* 120GB ADATA SSD (SU650)

* 1TB Toshiba HDD (DT01ACA100)

* Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti 2GB (GV-N75TOC-2GL)

* Inbuilt Wi-Fi + Bluetooth

* Bronze Power Supply (300W)

* DVDRW”

Hardware I’ve already purchased off eBay to replace the current hardware:
  • MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G (GPU) - $190.00 (Looks to be in good condition)
  • Gigabyte p650b 650w 80+ bronze (PSU) - $62.00 (Had no photos of the PSU itself, only the box)

PSU DESCRIPTION:

“In 100% working condition. Only reason for selling is I have upgraded my GPU and needed more power. Will come with purchase receipt and was only bought at the end of last year.”

GPU DESCRIPTION:
“Working when removed by the computer shop, upgraded to a 3060. Had from new, around 18 months, used on workstation, 10 hours a week gaming.”

Please let me know if it’s a decent build for a beginner PC, and if there are any upgrades that are ideal in the future.

Thank you for your time :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You ask first then buy, not the other way around. As for your system, that Gigabyte PSU isn't exactly a reliably built PSU. If the system is a prebuilt, what is the SKU to the prebuilt system? I ask since you might want to see if there are BIOS updates pending for the motherboard.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

aussiemite

Commendable
Apr 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You ask first then buy, not the other way around. As for your system, that Gigabyte PSU isn't exactly a reliably built PSU. If the system is a prebuilt, what is the SKU to the prebuilt system? I ask since you might want to see if there are BIOS updates pending for the motherboard.
I did my research on the hardware and asked a question or two to the seller. For the PSU, would a Silverstone or a Corsair be more reliable?

The PC has not been delivered yet, therefore I cannot identify the SKU number. But is the motherboard questionable?

Lutfij

Titan
Brands aren't everything, you will need to look into the models of the PSU's that are available, apart from the wattage, in order to score a reliably built unit.

Questionable would be an understatement. If anything I think you bought a system that was once in a prebuilt chassis, gutted into an aftermarket chassis and then sold as s gaming system.