Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2020
I’m new to this all so could someone check if my pc would work with these parts, please. I can get items a different prices, just want to check how good the [gaming] performance and so forth would be.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $882.34

Solution
That parts list looks pretty good...

A few thoughts - not all B450 motherboards have Ryzen 3000 series support out of the box - if you are buying that motherboard you might want to contact the seller and ask them to make sure the bios is updated before shipping to make sure it will support the Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. The alternative is to look for the updated "B450 Max" boards do have support for the 3000 series.

With regard to the PSU - that is a nice supply, although it is somewhat overkill for the components you are buying... not a problem but you could save a bit of money and go with ~ 550W unit without running into issues (going 80+ Gold is a good idea as these units are typically very well built). The higher output is a good idea if...

A few thoughts - not all B450 motherboards have Ryzen 3000 series support out of the box - if you are buying that motherboard you might want to contact the seller and ask them to make sure the bios is updated before shipping to make sure it will support the Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. The alternative is to look for the updated "B450 Max" boards do have support for the 3000 series.

With regard to the PSU - that is a nice supply, although it is somewhat overkill for the components you are buying... not a problem but you could save a bit of money and go with ~ 550W unit without running into issues (going 80+ Gold is a good idea as these units are typically very well built). The higher output is a good idea if you intend on upgrading the machine in the future with a higher tier graphics card or cpu.

Solution
Do you already have the Board? The price was not added in your list. If not I recommend the Tomahawk MAX for the updated BIOS you need to support that CPU. I added a CPU cooler so you don't hear the stock coolers jet engine sound at full load. Changed the SATA SSD to a Crucial P1 1TB NVMe. Kept the same PSU for possible future upgrade. Changed the RAM to 3600MHz.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1029.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 08:15 EDT-0400

If you are buying outside US, it should be fine. Just make sure the board has updated BIOS. If its within US, this should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $119.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card | $383.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $94.99 @ Best Buy
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $970.33
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 08:17 EDT-0400 |

If you include the board price in your list, it should roughly cost you the same.

May 4, 2020
Do you already have the Board? The price was not added in your list. If not I recommend the Tomahawk MAX for the updated BIOS you need to support that CPU. I added a CPU cooler so you don't hear the stock coolers jet engine sound at full load. Changed the SATA SSD to a Crucial P1 1TB NVMe. Kept the same PSU for possible future upgrade. Changed the RAM to 3600MHz.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1029.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-04 08:15 EDT-0400
Is 3600 ram better than the 3200? And is the coolermaster hyper evo 212 not perhaps a better cpu cooler, as I’ve seen at read alot about it.

May 4, 2020

With regard to the PSU - that is a nice supply, although it is somewhat overkill for the components you are buying... not a problem but you could save a bit of money and go with ~ 550W unit without running into issues (going 80+ Gold is a good idea as these units are typically very well built). The higher output is a good idea if you intend on upgrading the machine in the future with a higher tier graphics card or cpu.
They say the rx 5700 xt recommended is 700W? And i want to keep open the possibility of oc my cpu is that still going to he possible with that psu and motherboard? And they say that the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon has flash bios doesn’t that mean I could just update the bios with a flash drive before installing the cpu? And wouldn't the Pro Carbon be a better board if I’m looking for a longer lifespan motherboard as I won’t be able to upgrade verysoo again.

Is 3600 ram better than the 3200? And is the coolermaster hyper evo 212 not perhaps a better cpu cooler, as I’ve seen at read alot about it.

3600 MHz is considered better for 3000 series CPU's, 3200 MHz was sweet spot for 1000 and 2000 series, 3600 MHz is sweet spot for 3000 series. I would say, if the price difference is not too much to handle, go with 3600 MHz.

They say the rx 5700 xt recommended is 700W? And i want to keep open the possibility of oc my cpu is that still going to he possible with that psu and motherboard? And they say that the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon has flash bios doesn’t that mean I could just update the bios with a flash drive before installing the cpu? And wouldn't the Pro Carbon be a better board if I’m looking for a longer lifespan motherboard as I won’t be able to upgrade verysoo again.

Who is "they"? 550-650 W good quality PSU is ample for a 5700 XT and an overclocked Ryzen 3600, 750 W is mostly if you go with very high-end GPU like RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti. For your system, 80+ Gold 650 W is more than enough, and 550 W is also fine.

P.S. : You don't have a case in the original list. Do you have one already? Also, I would also recommend going with B450 Tomahawk MAX for your CPU, avoid the whole outdated-BIOS issue.

May 4, 2020
3600 MHz is considered better for 3000 series CPU's, 3200 MHz was sweet spot for 1000 and 2000 series, 3600 MHz is sweet spot for 3000 series. I would say, if the price difference is not too much to handle, go with 3600 MHz.

Who is "they"? 550-650 W good quality PSU is ample for a 5700 XT and an overclocked Ryzen 3600, 750 W is mostly if you go with very high-end GPU like RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti. For your system, 80+ Gold 650 W is more than enough, and 550 W is also fine.

P.S. : You don't have a case in the original list. Do you have one already? Also, I would also recommend going with B450 Tomahawk MAX for your CPU, avoid the whole outdated-BIOS issue.
Okay thanks, just want to check with the pro carbon the board only supports 3200 and not 3600 according to google. And the thing is I can get the pro carbon at a cheaper price than the MAX and it should be a better board as already has wifi, good heatsinks etc.

sorry if I’m being annoying whith the questions etc, I’m new to this and have been researching everthing and trying to workout what would be best at the best price etc.

Just to check a 650W Antec HCG 80 plus gold psu will be sufficent for oc and is a good quality one? As well as has some room for upgrade?

I’m situated in South Africa so if you could recommend a case case that will be great, was hoping to get a cheap one to save on budget but one that maybe has fans in already. Sites to use in SA is evetech, syntech or wootware.

Thanks x

Okay thanks, just want to check with the pro carbon the board only supports 3200 and not 3600 according to google. And the thing is I can get the pro carbon at a cheaper price than the MAX and it should be a better board as already has wifi, good heatsinks etc.

sorry if I’m being annoying whith the questions etc, I’m new to this and have been researching everthing and trying to workout what would be best at the best price etc.

Just to check a 650W Antec HCG 80 plus gold psu will be sufficent for oc and is a good quality one? As well as has some room for upgrade?

I’m situated in South Africa so if you could recommend a case case that will be great, was hoping to get a cheap one to save on budget but one that maybe has fans in already. Sites to use in SA is evetech, syntech or wootware.

Thanks x
The pro carbon is a good board but not compatible out of the box for 3rd gen. If the seller sends you from old stock, you will be stuck without a compatible CPU to upgrade the BIOS. Also it does not have the larger BIOS cache of the MAX boards and also lacks higher memory support. The wifi can be integrated to any board with a dongle or PCIe card. The Tomahawk MAX has pretty good thermal design as well.

The 650W HCG should be fine for your setup as it is a quality unit.

As for the case, this should be good on budget...
https://www.pcexpress.co.za/components/cases/gigabyte-c200-glass-atx-gaming-case?___SID=U

May 4, 2020
The pro carbon is a good board but not compatible out of the box for 3rd gen. If the seller sends you from old stock, you will be stuck without a compatible CPU to upgrade the BIOS. Also it does not have the larger BIOS cache of the MAX boards and also lacks higher memory support. The wifi can be integrated to any board with a dongle or PCIe card. The Tomahawk MAX has pretty good thermal design as well.

The 650W HCG should be fine for your setup as it is a quality unit.

As for the case, this should be good on budget...
https://www.pcexpress.co.za/components/cases/gigabyte-c200-glass-atx-gaming-case?___SID=U
https://www.syntech.co.za/product-r...pro-carbon-ac-amd-am4-atx-gaming-motherboard/

This is where I’ll be buying the board. For about R2800. Buying a Tomahawk Max will cost the same. It says the board supports gen 3. Just wanted to know for the same price isn’t the pro a better buy then?

https://www.syntech.co.za/product-r...pro-carbon-ac-amd-am4-atx-gaming-motherboard/

This is where I’ll be buying the board. For about R2800. Buying a Tomahawk Max will cost the same. It says the board supports gen 3. Just wanted to know for the same price isn’t the pro a better buy then?
They all say that as it is supposed to work with BIOS update. But saying and getting one with BIOS updated are two different things. Talk to their customer support and make sure that they ship you a board with the latest BIOS. Someone I know personally have indeed faced this issue. A lot of what you think as better is basically typical marketing BS. Not the best board for 3rd gen. but should work fine.

A good quality 550W supply would handle the components stock no issue, and probably be fine with an overclock on the CPU (as even overclocked the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't use that much power). That said if you plan to overclock that 5700 XT a lot then the higher output psu is a good idea (it depends on how far you want to push it, the overclock allowed using the Radeon software won't increase power that much but you can push those cards really high if you go into modding the power play tables and such).

With regard to the motherboard - firstly I hadn't realized that board has bios flashback - you are correct that you will be able to update the bios before installing the cpu thanks to that feature. It isn't something that is available on many boards. With regard to a "B450 Max" I wasn't specifying a board- there are a whole range of B450 boards that offer an updated "Max" version (e.g. there was an original MSI B450 Tomahawk, and the new version with Ryzen 3000 series support out of the box is called the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max). I was just suggesting it might be easier to look for the Max version to avoid having possible issues when you first build the machine (in your case MSI offer the "B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi" as the updated version to the board you have chosen).

Status
Not open for further replies.