My first PC

vichazo75

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi, i'm building my first PC so i wanted to know if all these are compatible and if you have some suggestions that would be perfect.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Video card: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45 (My other option is a Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4 GB DDR3-1866 (2 of these)
Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM
Power Supply: EVGA 500W (100-W1-0500-KR)
Case: Sentey Stealth GS-6008

And the OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I want the pc for gaming mostly, like the most recent games but i don't want to spend like it would be a smooth-running pc.

I put like everything i think you need to know so you can assist me or something, please tell me about some incompatibility or recommendation. My doubt is about the mobo mostly, which one to choose. Thanks in advance, Vicente.

Solution
Don't buy 2x separate ram sticks. If you want 2 sticks then buy a kit that has 2 sticks. Use 1600MHz ram. You'll see no benefit from the faster ram on that board.

Go with the Gigabyte, its a better board.

The Evga 500b is acceptable, that's it, acceptable. Not good, not great, but not total junk. I wouldn't use it, but your call. Just to tell you, the psu IS the single most important component of the pc. Skimping there could potentially be very costly later.

vichazo75

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Thanks for answering.

How do i make the memory work more efficiently then?
Which PSU would you recommend, higher than 500W, a 600W maybe?
Isn't the Video Card the GPU? I don't know much so if i'm wrong please enlighten me.

I know those are a lot of questions, but i really don't know much about.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't buy 2x separate ram sticks. If you want 2 sticks then buy a kit that has 2 sticks. Use 1600MHz ram. You'll see no benefit from the faster ram on that board.

Go with the Gigabyte, its a better board.

The Evga 500b is acceptable, that's it, acceptable. Not good, not great, but not total junk. I wouldn't use it, but your call. Just to tell you, the psu IS the single most important component of the pc. Skimping there could potentially be very costly later.

Solution

vichazo75

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

You recommend to go for the 600W? I don't want an acceptable component like you said. Thanks for answering

vichazo75

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Thank you so much for that

vichazo75

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

The recommendation then is to use DDR3-1600 for memory?