My FPS in games are lower than im told they should be?

Jan 25, 2019
So, RE2 remake came out and I was super excited to play it, however my PC struggles to maintain 60fps and dips into the 30s and 40s quite often, making it hard to play because its not a smooth experience. It happens in other games as well, and not sure whats causing it.

My specs:
Gtx 1060 3GB
FX 8350
8GB Ram
970A-DS3P FX motherboard

My friend has been trying to help me fix my fps, because it seems to be a lot lower then it should be, however nothing has fixed it.

So far we have tried drivers, reformatting, random windows settings, checked temps, virus checks, everything you could think of.

My temps while running RE2 is around 60C on the 1060 and 45-50C on the 8350.

Any ideas would be appreciated, also im not huge on PC knowledge so, help is greatly appreciated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My specs:
Gtx 1060 3GB
FX 8350
8GB Ram
970A-DS3P FX motherboard

I'm betting the motherboard's VRMs are throttling and cutting performance. That, and the cpu/gpu combo isn't the greatest...

While it may have been advertised as such, 970fx boards can't actually handle FX-8xxx and 9xxx series cpus - it was fixed with 990fx ones.
But in no way am I suggesting you go and get such a board. The FX platform is outdated and obsolete. A new Ryzen setup would be the way to go.

EDIT: how's your case cooling? Having one of your case fans directly blowing over the VRMs may help, if they aren't already.

Jan 25, 2019

The case cooling is just basic fans, but it never has any heating problems from what i've researched and found based on the temps I usually reach. Would opening the case help at all?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

For the short term, yes. But dust builds up much faster, so not recommended.

Download AMD overdrive, play RE2, or any of the games you noticed the drops, and report back on whether the app records the cpu clocking down at all.

Jan 25, 2019

I am playing and watching the clock speeds, but nothing is really changing, it says all 8 cores are sitting at around 4118MHz and will change randomly to about 4120s but thats about it. (I assume this is what im looking at)

Jan 25, 2019

Doesn't look like it no, though a couple run a bit higher then others, but that's probably normal for 8 cores? Not sure, but for basic answer, no none hits 100%

Jan 25, 2019
So, i downloaded GPU-Z to do some testing, since i guess thats a good thing to look at for gpu stuff, i did see some interesting stuff but not sure what it all means of it could lead to the problem. During RE2 playing, the gpu was sitting at around 1923mhz, but when it would lag it would dip down, and the lowest dip I saw was 911mhz dip, just something to add on the search.

Another thing to mention, a while ago my pc was having issues where it would freeze every couple days and I would have to restart it to fix it, after a month or 2 of it happening, it just stopped.

Jan 25, 2019
I will probably just end up getting a new motherboard, CPU, and PSU just to make things easier on myself, I appreciate all the help though! :) (my assumption is its either my PSU not distributing enough power, or its what Phaazee88 said, and its that my motherboard and CPU arent working well together, either way purchasing new parts will be the best solution)

I will also be marking Phaazee88s post as answer, because that seems most likely as to which will solve my problem.