My FPS is Broken

Aug 8, 2018
So I've recently been playing Destiny with a friend who got me the DLC. I played the beta last year because it was free with my 1080 Ti. The beta played great and I even played the game at launch a bit and it played just fine at 60 FPS in 4K with most settings at high-med.

Playing it recently though I'm noticing FPS drops EVERYWHERE. After I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out what was wrong and trying to specifically fix D2 I tested out some other games. The biggest surprise to me is that Dark Souls 3 (which use to run with high settings in 4K at a locked 60 FPS) now runs like garbage for some reason. What's even more surprising than that, I dropped the resolution to 1080p and lowered all the settings and I STILL can't lock 60 FPS. The kicker? Here are my specs:

Motherboard = Gigabyte Z270-HD3
GPU = GTX 1080 Ti (also use Geforce Exp for drivers)
CPU = Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz
RAM = 16 Gb DDR 4
3840 x 2160, 60Hz monitor

I'm at my wits end, is there anything y'all can think of that might going wrong? I've tried every thing I can think of. Thanks for taking the time.

Aug 8, 2018

I did have them slightly out-of-date for a bit (Pre WoW and MHW update) but I did update them and that did not work. I haven't tried reversing my drivers yet. I may try that.

Aug 8, 2018

Think it could be the PSU? I had initially though it may be the GPU because my 1080 isn't exactly top of line. It was an earlier model and only has one fan on it and runs at around 70C - 80C during gameplay. Because of that I was actually considering adding an additional fan. With that in mind, what would you recommend for a power supply if I'm also looking to add potentially two more (albeit small) case fans?

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

Wait, so you're saying you have a GTX 1080? not a GTX 1080 TI? Well it's also important to keep in mind that a stock 1080 won't achieve 60 FPS in 4k Gaming. It's closer to the performance of a GTX 1070.

Aug 8, 2018

No no it is a Ti. Sorry I was just short handing it as I had already established it the OP. I tend to type how I talk, which is to say lazy, sorry haha.